The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 12, 2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Eghad

Im back..hawg hunting

Had a good time at the Langley Ranch in Centerville, TX. We went up on Sunday and came back today. We did some varmint/predator hunting that evening. He is trying to raise some turkeys for his ranch and tries to keep the coons and bobcats thinned out. He tries to keep one hog per acre.

We got up this morning to beat the rain. He has some stands along the trails. I was waiting for him to put my pard in a tripod stand he had on a hill. I was leaning aginst some bushes watching a gully bottom when 4 appeared. The hogs are pretty smart..lol. They were behind some trees before you get to a clearing in the gully. They stopped at the trees looked and then scooted across to the brush on the other sided of the clearing. I could see them in my scope but didn't have a clear shot because of the brush. After he got back we went to a tree stand on the other side of the gully where you could see the bottom and another trail.

He told me they would usually take the gully an double back on the upper trail. I dont think I had been on the stand for five minutes when four of them showed up. The fourth one looked like the right size. So I used my sling for an offhand shot it was probably about 75 yards. He stopped and when he did I shot and hit him solid behind the ear knocking him over where he stayed.

My pard shot the bobcat. He finally killed a hog right before it started raining. We heard his shot and were on the way to him when we saw him going down the hill to his kill. Then he rapidly came back up the hill as the hogs buddy looked upset at the fact that his bud had been killed..lol. We had to scare him off before we could retrieve the hog...lol

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010118 (Small).JPG (35.7 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg P1010121 (Small).JPG (38.7 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg P1010124 (Small).JPG (39.1 KB, 243 views)

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; February 12, 2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old February 12, 2007, 06:30 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

Look great! Post info on this hunting area.
Old February 12, 2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Eghad

http://www.texaswildhoghunting.com/

He stays booked up. I think he is booked up till Aug 2007. We also saw some coyotes there too.

He has some big hogs also, I just wanted one to fill the rest of my freezer.

He has a walk in cooler. They will skin and clean your hog and even quarter it for $20.00.

The house also has Dishnetwork TV/VHS/DVD.

he knows the hogs habits...So there was no getting up at the crack of dawn. We left about 8:00 am to go to the hunting areas.

We went out Sunday night at 8:00 pm and 10:00pm for the coons and Bobcats.

Mr. Langley is as good a fellow as you can meet. His dedication to the customer is top notch.

NRA Life Member
Old February 12, 2007, 10:47 PM   #4
AZGunLover

It looks like you had a great hunt. Nice hogs. I have never hunted that ranch but I have hunted deer in the Centerville area and can vouch for it being a great place to hunt.
Old February 13, 2007, 12:51 AM   #5
hoghunting

Our ranch is about 10 miles NE of where you where hunting. I can confirm the number and size of hogs, bobcats, and coyotes in that area. There are times that we see hogs everywhere, and on some days, it's just a few. But there are always some to shoot. Glad you enjoyed the hunt.
Old February 13, 2007, 08:03 AM   #6
Eghad

He had about 25 hogs in that section. I saw a total of 4 when I shot mine. When my pard made his shot I was sitting in the ATV when about 20 passed on the run about 25 yards above me. They know how to hide and use the brush..lol. We passed 2 on the ATV that were not afraid of us...

NRA Life Member
Old February 16, 2007, 06:17 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Nice job, man! I went on a hog hunt on Dec 31 but got skunked.
Old February 17, 2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Eghad

I didnt know that that section had that many hogs in that section..lol. I went back with Mr. Langley because he was worried about my pard on a stand with lightning about to occur He shot and this herd of about 20 hogs comes out of the middle of nowhere. They were not making a lot of noise. There were a few that stood their ground and had that I dare you look
Mr. Langley will give you the low down on the neighborhood but you still have to do your part.

NRA Life Member
Old February 18, 2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Capp35

Glad you had fun.
Been debating that hunt ever since you PM me about it. Might have to actually make the call.
Old February 20, 2007, 10:51 PM   #10
Eghad

Well you wont be doing any hunting till after Aug 2007 because he stays booked up. The good news is I got my hog back today in smoked sausage and about 4 roasts. That smoked hog sausage was mighty good.

NRA Life Member