The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 19, 2014, 11:58 AM   #1
HitmanNumber86

Public free fire zones?

I see videos of people going into public forest or desert and doing run 'n' guns, safely, of course. A certain YouTuber from Utah seems to do it all the time.

What states have these locations, and how would I find them?

--Col. Saul Tigh, Executive Officer, BS Galactica, Colonial Fleet
Old October 19, 2014, 01:03 PM   #2
hartcreek

Every state that had Federal Land for sure....Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Forest Service, Fish and Wildlife there are also state equivilents so you need to look them up for your individual state. It is a simple online search these days.
Old October 19, 2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Bella

The majority of the Silver State is public land.
Old October 19, 2014, 03:41 PM   #4
cjwils

Not all federal land is a free fire zone. Near where I live in Washington state, US Forest Service land is subject to the following, which I found on a webpage for the Mt. Baker - Snoqualmie National Forest. I find it puzzling that they say shooting at rocks and stumps causes resource damage.

Target Shooting
You can target shoot on national forest lands unless a specific area has been closed to the activity because it jeopardizes public safety. Information about closures is available at each district office. When target shooting, Forest Service regulations prohibit discharging a firearm:
In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area,
Across or on roads or bodies of water, or where people or property are exposed to injury or damage,
Into a cave,
Causing resource damage; don’t shoot trees, rocks, stumps, non-game animals.
Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both (16 U.S.C. 551, 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571).

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/mbs/recreation/hunting

Last edited by cjwils; October 19, 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: new info
Old October 24, 2014, 08:09 PM   #5
HiBC

Western states have a lot of Fed and State land.Much of it allows shooting.

You DID qualify your question with "safely"...I noticed and appreciate it.

But,to emphasize:

Public land is multi use,and there is no secure downrange beaten zone,in other words,you don't know where another person migh also be enjoying the public land.They may be on a horse,bicycle,or on foot.They may not be visible,but "grazing fire"over the horizon may affect them.

Public land often has grazing leases,which means livestock may be anywhere,and the folks checking stock or fences or gates could be antwhere.

Public land is often checkerboarded with private land,so within public lands will be homes,ranches,people.

My point being,when you say "run and gun",its not good enough that you do not see anyone in the direction you are shooting.You must know where each round stops in a backstop.

In my area,there is a National Grassland where shooting is permitted.It is also true residents ,ranchers,and other folks in the area have had issues with stray bullets endangering their lives.

They are not happy about it,it gets in the news,and they ask for political action.

So,to answer your question,are there large trats of public land where a person can shoot?Yes,but check for restrictions.

Are there areas on public land that are free fire zones for run and gun?(safely of course)...Well,that "safely" thing has to be carefully considered.

All of the general public has access to all of the land surrounding you,and they may access it from a different direction you do not know about.

Generally,I suggest you will not find many places on public land that meet your needs.

If you get any complaints,the Ranger or Officer may well be inclined to write you up for something like felony reckless endangerment with a firearm.They do take these things seriously.

I will also suggest,at least in Colorado,they merged the Park administration with the Division of Wildlife.

That means,while in the past the officer who came to check on folks shooting on public lands was typically a game warden.The DOW officer would be comfortable with hunting and guns.

Now it will be a Parks and Wildlife officer.Its a whole different profile of a person.Some figure open land is for birdwatchers and lycra shorts bicycle riders and they don't like guns,hunting,or shooting.

There are programs where tax dollars are used to aquire large tracts of "open space" in Colorado.The mentality of the "Parks"type administration shows up here,as these tracts typically do not permit shooting or hunting.

This is likely to be the ideology of the of the ranger who climbs out of the pickup to check you out.