The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 08:19 PM   #76
Joe_Pike

I bought my limit one box of 5.56 today at Academy for $9.99.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:07 PM   #77
22-rimfire

Really makes you feel good when that box might only last 30 seconds.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:21 AM   #78
jimpeel

At Walmart we are still getting ammo in dribs and drabs. The prices haven't escalated much. When we do get ammo it usually doesn't last long enough to put it on the shelves. As soon as the associate opens the box those standing there will usually say "I'll take those."

We currently have a 3 box limit (3 boxes not 3 of each caliber) so we can serve more customers.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old March 15, 2013, 01:43 AM   #79
zandor

Whats funny or not depending on how you look at it, is I was goin through on of my ammo boxes yesterday and saw 44 boxes of winchester ranger 9mm JHP no less and what cought my eye was the price sticker on them. $5.99 for 50......that makes me long for the good ole days
Old March 15, 2013, 01:44 AM   #80
zandor

make that 4 not 44, almost gave myself a heart attack when i saw that
Old March 15, 2013, 02:13 AM   #81
jimpeel

A friend of mine has a friend who had a bunch of boxes of Egyptian 9mm. The boxes are only 36 rounds. He asked me how much he should ask for them at a local gun shop and I told him that $9/box would likely be a fair price. He later told me that the guy bought them all at $9 and sold them almost immediately for $15/box.

By the by, did I mention he is in CA?

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old March 15, 2013, 01:31 PM   #82
REDBULL600

I bought a "mega pack" of Rem UMC 115gr 9mm (250rds) last night at a GS I had never been too, paid $100 for it. It was their last one. And now that is my last purchase of ammo for a while. With that buy, I should have enough for Training courses this spring and practice. I have to save my pennies for Courses.

They had a pallet of 9mm Tulu ammo? sitting out on the floor, priced at $20 a box of 50. I didn't bother with .22LR as I have plenty saved up for Bowling pin league.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:02 PM   #83
Joe_Pike

I wish I had a .38 Super. I found 10 boxes of WWB .38 Super +P ammo last night for $22.00 each. Left them there.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:42 PM   #84
MercyfulFate

Cost me $20 a box for 9mm, and I got 4 boxes. No choice in that matter!

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 16, 2013, 06:01 PM   #85
Come and take it.

I had my own theories, heard from others how this is completely normal purchasing through the federal government through their contracts, also that the department of homeland security actually needs to train with this much ammo (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?)

This video finally drilled it into my thick hollow skull exactly how the federal ammo contract can lead to our situation. It also follows hand in hand with how Lord Barry works in all of his politics by putting americans into one crisis after another.

It also mentions something I had already suspected. That the state department and ATF can change their policies on importation and cause some headaches there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQoQO0rEeX0
Old March 16, 2013, 11:52 PM   #86
jimpeel

Here is an article wherein the author actually takes the time to do the math on these rumors of the gov't buying up all of the ammo.

He turns 21,600,000 into 240,000 by simply reading the requisition for comprehension.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/26/ru...-handgun-ammo/

By the by ... The Daily Caller is pro-firearm.

Old March 16, 2013, 11:57 PM   #87
Carne Frio

I have plenty and am not participating in the current ammo panic.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:49 AM   #88
shaunpain

I haven't bothered. The only time I've looked is the Wally by my folks, and there hasn't been a good stock of ANYTHING in about a year. When I see a box of something I might want, it's out of my wallet's capabilities. I have enough to scrounge sitting in a cabinet between all of the various calibers that I own that if anything hypothetical really did happen, I'd be okay for a little while. Everything will calm down. Not tomorrow, but eventually.

All of this hoarding and price gouging is absurd. It might not be any of the TFLer's, but the rest of the public happily drinks the Kool Aid. *shrugs*