The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 12:36 AM   #26
Gaerek

Target ammo?

That doesn't show credibility for defense. It shows that holes made by fast moving pieces of copper jacketed lead can cause someone to bleed out and "not make it." I know, shot placement is key. But if you tell me you can hit the brainstem at 7-10 yards under duress in a constantly changing and moving environment, I'll call you a liar (I know you wouldn't say that, you're not a liar ). Good JHP ammo, will stop an attacker with fewer shots, or so the statistics show. This is why LE does not issue FMJ anymore (well one of the reasons, anyway).

Right now it's tough, and if you truly cannot find a good premium round for defense, then whatever you have is better than nothing. But at least try to get good ammo. It's safer for you and it's safer for the innocents who might be in the area.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:42 AM   #27
BuckRub

Usually a 357 mag FMJ will stop an attack. A 380 FMJ will stop an attack. Maybe not blow th to pieces but put a single hole in someone and they'll be out. Flouncing on the ground like a fish. But like others have said, hollow points will do more devastating injuries to that person and penetrating less to injury innocent victims.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:15 AM   #28
sandbag

Target Ammo

I shoot a lot of "target ammo"-FMJ in semiautos and lead in revolvers.Any of it can kill someone,just a matter of stopping power-frankly a lead round nose or flat point 250 gr 45 Colt round is pretty potent.A 115 gr 9mm is not known for stopping power at all,but unless I am mistaken it is what that madman in Tucson used to shoot the Congresswoman and all those other people.I don't believe she could have survived a head shot with anything except FMJ-a hollowpoint would have been fatal for sure.He still did kill 6 people with the rounds.Graveyards are full of people shot with .22's.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:31 AM   #29
LynnTX

The ammo shortages are still pretty bad in Texas. I went to an LGS yesterday due to no ammo at most local retailers. SD ammo in several configurations in 9mm were right there on their shelves, but they were priced at $49.99 per box of 50.

There were quite a few frustrated people staring that those high priced boxes and muttering as they walked out the door.

They had one cheap Remington target ammo in 9mm MC 115gr that was $29.99. I bought that exact packaging at my indoor range at $22.00/ box 2 weeks ago.

I still don't have any decent SD ammo for my SIG250C.

The LGS did not have any 22LR at all. They just had 22 MAG that was very expensive.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:39 AM   #30
LynnTX

I also went to a local Bass Pro Shop yesterday afternoon and could buy zero 9mm of any kind and could find zero 22LR either.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:06 PM   #31
Swampman1

Quote:
The ammo shortages are still pretty bad in Texas. I went to an LGS yesterday due to no ammo at most local retailers. SD ammo in several configurations in 9mm were right there on their shelves, but they were priced at $49.99 per box of 50
Yikes sounds like gunshow prices. Gouging is in full swing. I know its tough, but I usually wait it out for Walmart. Unfortunately, most of what they get in is the target ammo @ $13.27/bx 115 gr.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:40 PM   #32
Swampman1

.45 ACP

Just came back from my local Walmart. picked up a 100 rd bx Winchester FMJ target ammo for $40. No JHP. Maybe next time.