The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 9, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1
grymster2007

Midway's shipping estimates good?

My SIL wants to buy a bunch of ammo and likes Midway's prices, but wants to know if their estimates on shipping dates are fairly reliable.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Midway, but I don't need any ammo and have never ordered any of their "backordered" stuff, so I just don't know.

Anyone with fairly recent experience here?

Thanks,
Old March 9, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
riggins_83

It can be hit or miss at times... though they're usually very good. If you call them they can tell you how many are on backorder currently.

If there are too many on backorder you might not get it shipped on the first in stock date. Unlike some companies, however, they don't just pick a date that sounds good.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Pahoo

Just talked to them last week with some of these same questions. Now, their items are clearly identified as to availability. The lady I spoke to, told me that all back order materials are not shipped until that order is complete. Then you would actually pay for shipping of what is available and another on the backorder. So, on any given order there would be two shipping costs. The cost is estimated using your zip. On my recent order, the estimate was right on but all material was available. My next order will be a different story. Why don't you phone them and they are super to work with.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 9, 2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Fox1

My experience has been that, on in stock merchandise, their shipping is very fast.

I've run into the issue of 2 shipping charges as well.
I recently ordered some bullets and a set of dies. The dies were on back order so Midway shipped the bullets and charged shipping then, less than a week later, the dies came in so they were shipped with their own shipping charge.

I called and asked the lady I talked to if there was a place to select "Ship all items at once" because I didn't mind waiting for the bullets to ship along with the dies. She said they didn't offer that option with their current ordering system but she would put it down as a customer suggestion.

Last evening, I received a call from a lady doing a phone survey for Midway shipping. I told her the same thing; in stock ships fast but multiple items on an order with a back ordered item really needs an option for "Ship all items at once."

Hope that helps and sorry for the slight drift on your question.
Old March 9, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5
sc928porsche

I have always had great results from Midway. Ive been doing business with them since they were mail order. Online orders are usually processed within 24 hours and shipped.
Old March 9, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
grymster2007

I should have clarified this in the opening post. I've had plenty of experience ordering "in-stock" items from Midway and they do a good job. What I'm looking for here is; are their ship date estimates on "back-ordered" ammo realistic?
Old March 9, 2010, 02:18 PM   #7
sc928porsche

Their back order estimates are made from the factorys estimates, so I would not set my time by it. Best thing to do is either send in your order and wait patiently or check with them on that date to see if the goods have arrived.
Old March 9, 2010, 02:52 PM   #8
MosinM38

In-stock: Great, on-the-dot estimates.

Out-of-stock:backordered: Royally sucks. I think they're about 2-3X optimistic when it comes to time....