The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2007, 05:15 PM   #1
superfast61821

to reload or toss that's the question.

For quite some time i have been considering the purchase of a 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 22 that's chambered in 40S&W. How ever all along i have been saving my 40 brass. well I just got a new 9mm pistol and have started thinking that instead of buying the conversion barrel perhaps i should get the 40 barrel with the fully supported chamber from LWD instead and reload that brass. My question is since the brass was originally fired in the Glock factory barrel is it okay to reload and use in the new barrel?
Thanks.
Old March 20, 2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

As long as it resizes the bulge over the unsupported area, it should be fine. I wouldn't go for +P levels with it, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 21, 2007, 07:52 AM   #3
superfast61821

I was under the belief that there isn't any such thing as a +P load for 40S&W am i wrong?
Old March 21, 2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Probably not. It's too new to have its original pressure made obsolete. I haven't looked. The +P designation on an older cartridge just means a higher pressure limit than the chambering's original standard is used. I used +P sloppily as a term here, just meaning to convey that you shouldn't try to load these cases to the highest pressure levels your gun's new, stronger, supported chamber will stand, as many handloaders are tempted to do.

Cases that have picked up a bulge from an unsupported chamber area are stretched slightly thinner and weaker than new. The fact you will have a supported chamber probably means they would be fine at full-power, but I was erring on the cautious side. I have had the experience of having a burst case blow brass fragments into my face, and didn't want to encourage you to take the risk. If they were mine, I would use them, but it would be in target loads on the light side of what functions the gun, just to be extra safe.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 21, 2007, 09:17 AM   #5
XD-Guy

I shoot at a police range that's open to the public on weekends. There is tons of once fired 40S&W all over the place all shot through glocks. I've been picking it up, resizing it, and shooting it in my Springfield XD for 2 years now without a problem. Now I've never heard not to reload glock brass. What I have heard is not to reload glock brass for glocks. BTW my resizer die is a Lee. It doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but is does size pretty far down.