Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Open Carry Good?
Yes, It should be encouraged 98 75.97%
No, Don't want to scare the "Sheeple" 33 25.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 28, 2005, 11:52 PM   #51
MEDDAC19

I question the posts that say open carry would cause a tactical disadvantage. It seems that everyone that claims this, forgets that they would not be the only gun in the room. If you are in a bank as previously mentioned, why would you become a target? You would only be a target if nobody else exercised their right to openly carry. If the BG's come into the bank and see that there are 3 or 4 people in line,or all the tellers were carrying I think that they would turn tail and look for a much softer target.
Old August 29, 2005, 12:03 AM   #52
p99guy

SomeKid, knock off the personal attacks you can make your point without it.
calling folks names and questioning thier IQ,weenie lenth , or anything else doesnt make you sound older and in control. And the "its for the children" is a bit overused(thanks to Chief Moose and all the shumers and finestiens)...you are carrying a gun for you, not some strangers kid....in real life you may not know who is the GG or the BG without a playbook.(the first gunfight I walked into just as it started and I couldnt tell who to shoot to be honest as they were busy shooting each other and not me) That is why we that wear badges make everybody get on the ground till we sort it out...you are going to step hip deep into a situation that you have zero training to handle if you look for other peoples problems to inject yourself into....thats nothing against you, its just what is going to happen.
Old August 29, 2005, 12:06 AM   #53
MD_Willington

I live in a town that has a shotgun range as the first thing you see when you get to town, it's a small town, I see enough people with firearms so open carry does not bother me one bit, whether it is a long arm or a sidearm.

To me, open carry would help socially re-engineer people that have been socially engineered to fear a device and not a person in control of the device & if something goes wrong, placing the blame on an object and not owner is ridiculous.

Like any other tool/machine/device if used improperly it can maim or kill.

Just my opinion of course.

MD
Old August 29, 2005, 02:21 AM   #54
dasmi

I think it should be legal everywhere. That said, you have to be aware of the areas you're carrying in. I carried openly all across AZ, but I wouldn't do it in San Diego, where I live, even if it was legal. Wouldn't be worth the hassle.
Old August 29, 2005, 05:13 AM   #55
SomeKid

p99

Quote:
SomeKid, knock off the personal attacks you can make your point without it.

calling folks names and questioning thier IQ,weenie lenth , or anything else doesnt make you sound older and in control.

Aside from calling one obvious troll a troll (and adding him to my ignore list) I have not called anyone any names. I tend to make attempts toward staying civil. Do show me where I questioned IQs of other posters, 'weenie lenth' as you put it, or any other insults. I know I called one troll a troll, and I called criminals 'not too bright'. Mind showing me where I EVER mentioned 'weenie lenth', other than when quoting yourself?

Now, go back and read my posts. I NEVER said I carry 'for the children'. I pointed that out as a way to make soccer moms understand we aren't their enemies, we are their friends. It is 100% I carry for myself first and foremost. It is also true I do tend to keep an eye out for danger, and as a rule I do watch little kids. I have watched more than one decide the middle of a busy street was a playground. Being an adult and trying to ensure stupid kids don't get themselves killed, or killed by the wolves amongst is part of what any man does.
Old August 29, 2005, 08:32 AM   #56
Buzzard

I live in Kingman AZ and open carry is leagal and is done often, it is not uncommon to see folks in Wal-Mart or the resturant or food stores carrying, I carry my .45 open when I am in town and I carry my Ruger Super blackhawk in a wetern style holster open on the way out prospecting and I ususally stop for gas and goodies before leaving town.....only time I ever heard a comment made was a little kid told his mom "look he has a gun" and his mom walked over looked at my .44 and said"that is nice" then walked off.
I got out at the gas station about 3 months ago and this guy was yelling at anyone at the pumps, he raised a bat and headed in my direction I turned towards him, never said a word, he saw my sidearm and turned,got into his truck a dorve off....old fellow pumping gas looked at me and said "thanks" then he left........
nothing wrong with open carry as far as I am concerned.
Old August 29, 2005, 08:43 AM   #57
mvpel

Quote:
got out at the gas station about 3 months ago and this guy was yelling at anyone at the pumps, he raised a bat and headed in my direction I turned towards him, never said a word, he saw my sidearm and turned,got into his truck a dorve off....old fellow pumping gas looked at me and said "thanks" then he left........
I had a similar situation happen to me in Phoenix - I was walking across a hotel parking lot at night looking for somewhere to buy a soda & chips, and was carrying openly since at the time I didn't have a CCW good in Airzona. A young tough was making a beeline diagonally across the deserted street towards me, and he made a sharp right turn and headed off in the other direction when he caught sight of my holstered Glock 30.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old August 29, 2005, 08:59 AM   #58
ATW525

I support reasonable open carry. Running around town with in tactical gear and carrying an AR-15 is a bit much in my book, but I see nothing wrong with wearing a sidearm openly on your hip.

I don't open carry personally, and if I had to state one particular reason why I don't, it's because I live in a complex with many other people I don't know very well. I try not to let them know that I own firearms in order to reduce the chances of a break in when I'm not home. Since that means I have to leave my house and go to the car with a concealed weapon, I might as well just keep it concealed.
Old August 29, 2005, 09:14 AM   #59
MK11

I've got no problem with it, other than I'd spend all my time checking out what people got.

However, with all the threads on "shoot me first vests," how come there's not more concern about open carry?
Old August 29, 2005, 11:19 AM   #60
mvpel

Quote:
Running around town with in tactical gear and carrying an AR-15 is a bit much in my book, but I see nothing wrong with wearing a sidearm openly on your hip.
Who said anything about that except the people engaged in setting up and knocking down straw-men in open-carry discussion threads?
1 Samuel 13:19
Old August 29, 2005, 12:32 PM   #61
ATW525

Quote:
Who said anything about that except the people engaged in setting up and knocking down straw-men in open-carry discussion threads?
Nobody (at least not in this thread, anyways ). I was only posting an example of what taking the concept of open carry too far would be, imo.
Old August 29, 2005, 02:03 PM   #62
SomeKid

Atw

While I would probably snicker at anyone going to that extreme, it ought to be legal. We are all familiar with how the slippery slope works.

(Seriously, I would probably break out laughing if that ever happened, but it still ought to be legal.)
Old August 29, 2005, 02:23 PM   #63
ATW525

I never said it shouldn't be legal, either... only that I wouldn't support somebody who wanted to do so. Why? Because it's as absurd and idiotic as somebody running around the local shopping mall in ninja PJs with a katana strapped on their back. :barf:
Old August 29, 2005, 02:44 PM   #64
Bullrock

Open carry is legal in Maine. I would like to open carry some, but my wife worries about the sheeple thinking I'm a weirdo. Actually she's the only one that doesn't know I am.

Doesn't the term sheeple mean to follow blindly instead of thinking for yourself? Guns are bad!!! Yup, they must be bad!!! I once had a pet sheep. The dam thing wouldn't leave me alone. Followed me everywhere. Nice animal, no brains.
Old August 29, 2005, 02:49 PM   #65
erh

I've never wanted anyone to know... And no one has...
Old August 29, 2005, 03:38 PM   #66
Dre_sa

out of sight out of mind...
if no one knows you have a gun on you then they wont start the anti-gun speech/argument. i am not allowed to carry openly in south africa, i see this as a good thing, because there are many people here (as in the us) that are afraid of guns for no good reason. id rather not have the hassle of trying to explain why i have a gun. carry is easier that way.
Old August 29, 2005, 04:16 PM   #67
tshadow6

National open carry of firearms would end crime as we know it within 24 hours.
Old August 29, 2005, 04:35 PM   #68
Wildalaska

Quote:
bnWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Wildniceone!Alaska
Old August 29, 2005, 04:43 PM   #69
ATW525

Quote:
Exactly. Just like it did in the Old West.
Old August 29, 2005, 04:59 PM   #70
Bullrock

Pro Gunner

Quote:
In today's effete, sensitive, diverse, politically correct culture - the sight of a man walking about wearing a holster and gun provokes a reaction in The Sheeple similar to said man walking about with his penis hanging out of his unzipped fly.
LMAO!!! However, where I live walking around with your penis hanging out of an unzippered fly is not morally acceptable, unless one is drunk, of course.

On the other hand walking around with a holstered handgun is both acceptable behaviour and legal.

Now, walking around with your penis hanging from your unzippered fly, with a holstered handgun will get you arrested. Unless one is drunk, of course, then the judge will let him off and send him to drunk school.

I hope I have made myself perfectly clear where I stand in this matter of rights and human dignity...

Quote:
Are you really that old or can we have a ride in your time machine? How the HELL can you say with such CERTAINTY that you know what our founding fathers were thinking???
He called me and I told him!!!
Old August 29, 2005, 05:44 PM   #71
alpineman

Open carry is legal here in KY. I live in a very small town, where I feel quite safe, and I've thought about carrying openly, but I've never done so. Frankly, I usually only consider doing it just to "push it" a little. I'm curious about how people would react. Since I don't think that's too constructive, I don't carry openly in public. I think it most certainly should be legal, but beyond that I'm not sure how to feel about it.

For one thing, I have to agree with the prior posts which have emphasized the importance of discression. I would LOVE to think that, if we all carried openly all the time, we'd deter most crime and prove to non-gun-owners that not every person packing a pistol is about to go postal. I think Wildalaska is right, though - just because we have a right doesn't meen we should push it too hard. I don't want to see ... what was it? Crucifixes in poo or something?... that kind of thing, either, and I can accept that there are quite a few people who are just plain uncomfortable with the fact that I'm carrying. I carry concealed anytime I'm off the farm (though it's open carry the rest of the time, since I live quite a ways away from other people!), I always feel safe, and I don't freak out/scare/infuriate anyone else.

On the other hand, whether you like it or not, I think we've got to have those people who will push the envelope with their rights. I firmly believe those who want to kill our 2nd Amendment rights want to kill it with a thousand cuts. When the non-gun-owning public gets to the point at which the ONLY time they see a gun is in the nightly news graphic screaming "SHOOTING", they will only associate guns with crime. Society is largely already to that point. By hiding our guns all the time, we continue to allow that. Open carry won't solve the problem, just like artists who smear crucifixes with poo won't do much in the way of protecting the 1st Amendment, but I think there has to be some degree of pushing the envelope that we accept in order to protect our RKBA. In that regard, I don't think we should be overly PC about things - we have the RKBA, and we should celebrate it, not hide it. Some people will be rubbed the wrong way, but they'll get over it and the sun will still come up tomorrow.

I won't get into whether or not OC is more or less dangerous or risky. Frankly, I'm much more likely to get killed on the interstate by some jerk who can't drive.
Old August 29, 2005, 09:28 PM   #72
Doug.38PR

I voted Yes. I think open carry is good. However that being said, I think you should do both depending on the situation. THe main reason I voted for open carry is because the law saying you MUST have your gun concealed makes you always have to be extra careful and cautious not from criminals but from police and ordinary people. In other words if it were open carry here in Texas (which it is not) I wouldn't have to worry about my coat blowing open and having somebody wet their pants or getting in trouble with a policeman if they should accidentally see the gun.

I think concealed carry is the better option (not law) just because I'd rather everybody not know that I am armed. On the other hand, open carry may be the better option in case (as it may be) I feel I NEED people (dangerous ones) to know I am armed.

I also think open carry would be better because more people would willingly carry guns because they would be as common as cars. They seeing guns on ordinary people would make people lose this Politically correct fear of guns that is so rampant in our society today. Guns would be as commonly accepted as the car
Old August 29, 2005, 09:33 PM   #73
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKid
Aside from calling one obvious troll a troll (and adding him to my ignore list) I have not called anyone any names.
Wow! What a relief! La La La... I can't hear him any more. Real "mature". Does anyone else think I am trolling since I have a differing point of view or should I become assimalated into the Borg?

For those who actually read other's peoples posts and consider thieir points of view, is there a difference between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen426
If the situation is unclear as to whether someone is in danger, it is better not to act.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKid
you are among the few who is either too cowardly, or selfish to step in and protect the life of an innocent kid who is being say kidnapped for example.
?

Thak you p99guy for clarifying my point.
Quote:
in real life you may not know who is the GG or the BG without a playbook.(the first gunfight I walked into just as it started and I couldnt tell who to shoot to be honest as they were busy shooting each other and not me) That is why we that wear badges make everybody get on the ground till we sort it out...you are going to step hip deep into a situation that you have zero training to handle if you look for other peoples problems to inject yourself into....thats nothing against you, its just what is going to happen.
I guess I can stop with the personal attacks since SomeKid put me on his little ignore list. Just for the record, I don't have anyone on my ignore list. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts, opinions, and beliefs. I don't claim that I have all of the answers or even most of the answers. In fact, I think I have leard quite a bit from this forum in the short time I have been on here. I just get frustrated with people making stupid excuses (I'm here to protect that lady's kid) for wearing a gun. Typical hero complex. I just hope he outgrows it before he gets himself in trouble.
Old August 30, 2005, 03:28 PM   #74
Bullrock

Trapp

Quote:
That's exactly why I would encourage open carry. If everyone saw it everyday, it wouldn't be an issue. It would become a "society norm" to see it, therefore becoming acceptable. At least in theory. I believe exposure (the good kind) is the key to "winning" this "war" we have against the "anti's".....
I agree with that, 100%. I have lived in the outskirts of a small city for the last 34 years. During that time I have only seen one open carry, and that could have been an off duty LEO. I admit I could have missed a bunch of others. The problem I have is, I don't want to be the only one. If I noticed a few people carrying in the open here and there I wouldn't hesitate to strap one on.

Kinda makes me wanna live in AZ!!!
Old August 30, 2005, 03:40 PM   #75
tshadow6

Florida ccw

Gov. Martinez made CCW state wide in FL back in 86, maybe 87. A loop hole was left that allowed open carry. I don't believe many people did it, I did see a few. I believe violent crime dropped way down until the loophole was closed.
Closed Thread