The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2002, 07:52 AM   #1
goosegunner

Non-toxic shots

I have used a Marlin 55GDL goosegun in several years with lead shots, and it has been the perfect gun for me. But this season it became illegal to use lead shots. I tried bishmut, but some pellets was powdered in the barrel and they did not seem to have enough power on high flying ducks.

I find it expensive to test all those "alternative" loads myself, so maby any of you can tell me what loads to use and what loads to stay away from?
Old February 17, 2002, 12:42 PM   #2
Kingcreek

Next year I will use hevi-shot for almost everything. great stuff but not cheap. The tungston-poly has worked OK for me also. I hate steel shot but I will continue to use some on the near duck days.
I have a low opinion of bismuth. Patterns are inconsistant and the stuff fragments and smears thru the meat. the cats were fed well when I used the bismuth....
Old February 17, 2002, 07:42 PM   #3
Chuck Graber

I agree with Kingcreek. I have more experience with Tungsten Matrix than with Hevi-shot, but they are both good if not inexpensive. In the long run these loads are not that much more expensive than steel, as you will have much fewer cripples and require less swatter loads. Whenever possible I only use steel for for swatting cripples as these loads don't require excellent ballistics.

Be aware that Hevi-shot is Matrix ionly for use in barrels rated for steel. Tungsten s usable in any barrel that will handle your old lead loads.

Chuck Graber
Old February 18, 2002, 06:25 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Got some recent input from the Shore on Hevi-shot. Seems to be good stuff. May try it, but unretirement has me a bit too busy to go goosin' right now. If I hear anything else I'll pass it on...