The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 16, 2015, 12:19 AM   #1
Monkey

One step closer to shooting my 1858

So I bought my first bp revolver, the Pietta 1858 NMA with a spare cylinder. I haven't shot it yet, but I have snapped some caps on it. It doesn't like the Winchester #11 magnums; they go on too loose . The CCI #10's fit just fine. I'm looking forward to seeing how they stand up to recoil.
Old January 16, 2015, 03:07 AM   #2
Model12Win

Great!

I remember when I was getting everything ready to shoot my '51 Navy Colt, buying all the accessories and supplies needed. Making my range bag, filling by powder flask, cutting and making wads, such a fun time!

Then I went to the range, and when the caps startin' a bustin' and the smoke startin' a rollin', I thought to myself: "God, this is so cool!" And from that point on I was hooked!
Old January 16, 2015, 10:10 AM   #3
g.willikers

Now, you need a display box for it.
Old January 16, 2015, 01:24 PM   #4
ZVP

Monkey my advice tto you is go slow loading, get everything correct and by the 3rd time out you'll shoot like a pro!
BP is actually very easy to shoot providing you follow safety procedures while loading. Handling safety is like any other gun.
I have 2 '58's and they both like 30-35 gr Pyrodex charges to shoot most (They are steel frames, don't load a Brasser likr this!)accurately. These are stout charges but not max by any means for the Steel58.
It's a sturdy gun.
I shoot a .451 ball and use COW filler and felt wads.
HTH,
ZVP
Old January 18, 2015, 09:52 PM   #5
deerslayer303

Awesome, can't wait to read your range report! There is not a pistol in my collection that I enjoy shooting more than my cap and ball revolvers. Its cheap, you can stay at the range all day and not go broke on ammo. And like Model12Win said, making and getting everything ready for the shoot is very enjoyable also. Heck I even enjoy cleaning the things. Its also funny when you go to the range and print groups just as good as the guy firing the 1911. They are all like I shoot real FFFg black powder in mine and the '58 LOVES 30grs with a lubed felt wad, then a .454 hand cast soft lead ball. I've never let someone touch them off that didn't have a HUGE smile on their face. ENJOY and let the addiction BEGIN!!
Old January 18, 2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Texas Reb

ZVP,
What was COW filler? Is that Cream of Wheat?