The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 2, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Cosmodragoon

Best "Iron Sights" for a Golden Boy?

I'm no expert on sights but I know I'm not alone in disliking the standard semi-buckhorn rear sights that come standard on these. I found myself wishing that it came with the iron sights that are standard on their less expensive .22 lever guns. Now I'm wondering what other people here prefer.

A few personal considerations come to mind. The first is that I don't want an optical sight. The second is that the rear sight attachment feels like it is too far forward for effective use of a peep sight, but I could be wrong. I've seen people mount them on the tang but I don't like the "steampunk" look.
Old November 2, 2013, 02:45 PM   #2
semi_problomatic

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

They have some reviews on there...

Some people like the peep sites on the barrel. I prefer mine farther back for a longer sight radius.

Tang sights remind me of "quigly down under" and make me want to grow a mustache...
Old November 3, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Obambulate

I just installed the Skinner sights on my Henry Frontier Model. I chose the screw-mounted sights that go on the barrel right in front of the receiver. They are further back than the dovetail-mounted rear sight, putting the peep closer to your eye. This sight only works on an octagon barrel with the factory-drilled screw holes. Your Golden Boy should have the holes under the rear sight ramp.

Skinner also has a receiver-mounted sight for the Henry, which puts the peep even closer, but raises the height enough to require a different front sight.

The quality is top-notch and the price, while a bit high, is reasonable for such quality craftsmanship, attention to detail, and customized fit. It looks great and works with my eyes much better than the buckhorn. I won't have a final opinion until I shoot it, but so far, I'm real happy.
Old November 4, 2013, 07:02 AM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, the GoldenBoy's receiver cover has no "rimfire grooves", so the Skinner Groover RF receiver sight won't work.

I'd D/T the top of the GB's receiver cover for a standard Skinner or the side of the cover for a Williams 5D/FP, and also install a taller (and different type bead) front sight blade if I went with the Skinner (an easy/no-brainer job).

[EDIT: The same octagon barrels are used on both the Henry Golden Boy and the blued Henry Frontier, ergo the open/iron sights are interchangeable.]

Last edited by PetahW; November 4, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:02 AM   #5
PVL

I'd order a set of the iron sights that are standard on their less expensive .22 lever guns.

It's what you prefer, and it costs less than other options.
Old November 4, 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
PeteApps

+1 for the Skinner sights. Just put them on my Marlin 1895, made a world of difference.
Old November 6, 2013, 04:17 PM   #7
giaquir

I took the receiver cover ,D&T it and mounted
a peep site on it.
Just make sure the mounting screws don't poke thru
the receiver.
Also remove any burrs on the back side of the hole.

Tags
henry , iron sights