The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 19, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
overthere

Scope ring question - max size

I purchased a set of Weaver 30mm rings for one of my scopes that have a 50mm objective. On the package of the rings it states 'fits up to 44mm objective lens'.

The 50mm scope fits well on these rings, what is the significance of the package saying it is for objectives up to 44mm? Could I damage the 50 mm scope by using them? I would assume not since the scope objective clears the barrel by a good margin but I thought I would check.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:36 PM   #2
DnPRK

There are two dimensions to consider when purchasing scope rings.

First is the diameter of the ring to match the scope tube.

Second is the height of the ring above the mount, which determines the distance between the scope's objective bell and the barrel. The "fits 44mm" probably refers to this. You do not want your 50mm objective bell hitting the barrel. To do so would damage the scope.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Pahoo

Say What ???

Quote:
The "fits 44mm" probably refers to this.

This is true and the old rings did not come with this listing. I have find these listings to be very helpful, up front. ...

Now, your scope will probably not clear the barrel or whatever in on it. I once had a set of rings where the front bell, cleared the barrel but not the rear sight and on another occasion, the bell again, cleared the barrel but had to trim my scope caps. Go figure !!! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 19, 2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Mike38

As long as there is 1/16 to 1/8 inch between the scope bell and the barrel, you'll be fine.
Old April 19, 2013, 11:16 PM   #5
jmr40

Not all scopes and guns are the same. Your 50mm scope on your rifle may work just fine with these rings. As others said, as long as you can adjust for proper eye relief and the scope is not touching the barrel or receiver anywhere all is good.

Even though they both may have a 50mm lense, different scope brands will have slightly different size outside diameters on the objectives. Some have a short taper from the tube while others have a longer more gradual taper which can matter.

A heavier bull barrel will require the scope to be mounted higher than a thinner barrel.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:06 AM   #6
overthere

All, thanks for the information