The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Skitter

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit

Good Afternoon!

So at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to reloading. I remember my Dad having all the stuff setup on a bench out back when I was still living at home, and he has started me with some good advice so far. I do not yet have a place to put any of this as my wife and I are currently buying a home, so here I am trying to find the best bang for the buck to get started.

I like the Hornady Lock and Load kit. That being said it's $300 and change. RCBS also has a good starter kit for $250+. While perusing the various online sites and stores for reloading equipment I came across the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit that I was shocked to see was only $120~ at the various outlets. Has anybody had experience with this kit? If it is just a cheap junk piece then I won't waste my money, but I am trying to get started and it this will get me reloading safely, even if it requires more work, then I would look at getting this to start.

I did read the beginners guide at the top and this seems to meet the needs.

Thanks,

Skitt
Old March 5, 2013, 12:31 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

That's the kit I started off with, and there's nothing wrong with it. You can make high-quality ammo with it - just not at a blazing pace. The breech lock system is nice because you don't have to re-adjust the dies every time you put them in or take them out of the press.

I've since added a Lee Classic Turret press, but the Breech Lock still serves just fine as a dedicated de-priming press.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Skitter

Awesome, I am also assuming it will use most standard dies from RCBS and Hornady?
Old March 5, 2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Skitter

Take 2

I am looking to reload primarily 270, 30-30, 9mm, and .40

I keep seeing that single stage presses aren't necessarily handgun load friendly? Is it just cause of the time it takes per load? Trying to get a press that will work well for all
Old March 5, 2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Old 454

Hand gun striaght walled cases are the easyest to reload, but with any thing thats explosive, please read all instructions, the manuals are your friend, weight loads, get a micrometer to check COAL, make sure you have good lighting, and not least of all ask questions on this forum, there is a ton of handloading experience here and no one will hesitate to help out and send you in the right direction.

I read these forums and read manuals on reloading for 6 months before I took the plunge into reloading.

Enjoy the new hobby, and save some money.

Lee presses are good quality equipment, I use a loadmaster and while it can be a bit finicky at times I would buy another in a heart beat.

Lee makes a good affordable product, you can buy more expensive presses and there good quailty presses also, but the bottom line is they will all make good quality ammo and lee will do as well as the others.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Skitter

Thanks for the reply, Ill be saving for a bit so I'm planning on reading some books on it, maybe I can find some at the library
Old March 5, 2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Gster

I started with that kit and still us it and like it. I've loaded thousands of rounds with it. .243 win., 9mm, and .40 s/w. I use all Lee dies. I'm sure you'll like it.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Vance

That is a fine kit to start out with. Yes, standard dies from the other brands will fit it. Make sure you buy enough breech lock bushings for the number of dies you buy. Either 3 or 4 dies per set.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Skitter

Thanks for that reminder, I didn't think about that
Old March 5, 2013, 11:06 PM   #10
ATPBULLETS

My first kit as well..... LOVE IT>......
Old March 5, 2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Lost Sheep

I started loading with a single stage and that kept me happily in ammo for a few years, but I soon hankered for more rounds per hour. Fast forward to the present day and I am very happy with a Lee Classic Turret. It is only about $75 more than an identical setup built around the Challenger (a perfectly fine press for the O.P.'s situation). The Classic Turret can handle the rifle rounds just fine and, after some familiarization with the loading process can triple the output of the single stage.

Add to that, the fact that turrets are about $10 to $15 and capable of mounting a full set of 4 dies and the bushings for the BreechLock press are $10 for a set of two. (If you do the math, just the turrets vs the bushings will save you at least $10, and if you use 2-die sets for rifle cartridges, another $10)

Almost every serious loader I know has a single stage press on his bench, but I would give a bit of serious consideration to starting out with a Lee Classic Turret.

Had I known in 1975 what I know now (and if the press had been available at the time) I would have started with a Lee Turret (and used it as a single stage until I was comfortable with the loading process) and been able to have the press I enjoy now three decades earlier.

No loss if you start out with the Challenger, especially if it keeps you within your budget. But a look at the Lee Classic Turret will be worth your time, if not your money.

http://www.rugerforum.net/reloading/...andloader.html

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; March 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

Some light reading?

Go get a large mug of whatever you sip when you read and think and visit these sites.

For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

I am looking at getting into reloading for the first time
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=658971

Just bought my first press. Needs some info tho.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=659358

Considering reloading
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488115

Budget Beginning Bench you will never outgrow, for the novice handloader.
http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2938...andloader.html

Thoughts on The Lee Classic Turret Press
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=135951

Interested in reloading
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Newby needs help.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391

I hope you enjoy the reading. Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep
Old March 5, 2013, 11:23 PM   #13
Vance

The Lee Classic Turret is an excellent machine also. Lost Sheep has made good points here. If you do go the turret route, Make sure you get the Classic Turret and not the other one (4 hole turret is what they call the other one I believe).
Old March 5, 2013, 11:55 PM   #14
ATPBULLETS

And the The Lee Classic Turret was my second press....LOVE IT TOO....
Old March 6, 2013, 02:47 AM   #15
mohr308

I use the Breech lock press, first and only one I own. Lee has two kinds of bushings for it, spend the extra $ for the better ones. I'm it saying the other bushings suck, I just prefer the ones with the set screw. To keep things reasonable, I make sure all my die sets are 2 piece die sets. I would like to invest in a turret press, but I don't have to room for it right now.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Skitter

Awesome write up Lost Sheep, I have been looking for a comparative guide to see what parts I need and why. I had to have my dad double check the kits I found to see if everything was there I just sat down with my tea and spent the last hour perusing your info.

I really need to find a mentor around here to show me the ropes before I spend the money, as I moved from Oregon recently I have yet to meet very many people in my area due to work/family