The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 26, 2010, 09:26 AM   #1
belveflowslykh20

best noise reducing earphones for 150 or less?

Hi all I was wondering if you guys could help me find a pair of earphones that will greatly reduce the sound at the range. My current pair that were 10 bucks don't work well at all even with ear pluplugs in. I'd like to buy a good pair that will reduce the noise without having to put ear plugs in. Thanks so much for your help
Old July 26, 2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Dave P

You serious? 150 dollars or less???
Old July 26, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3
geetarman

Dillons makes a pretty good one for $135 at last check. They work like a charm and you just cannot beat the Dillon warranty.

Geetarman
Old July 28, 2010, 04:01 PM   #4
mickm

I was gonna check out the range of earplugs that Etymotic make. I have a set of there reference earphones which I use in the music studio and they are excellent. I'm hoping their ear-plugs, which work across selective frequencies, might have something to offer when down the range. The idea of the selective frequency attenuation is that you can hold a conversation (like a range warden/instructor teaching someone how to shoot) but they then attenuate other noise. Not actual ear defenders but might be worth looking into...?
Old July 28, 2010, 04:08 PM   #5
belveflowslykh20

thank you for your help so far can anyone recommend a brand more model ?
Old July 28, 2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Try looking for some military surplus aircraft handler's earphones.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:09 PM   #7
wally626

Quote:
I was gonna check out the range of earplugs that Etymotic make. I have a set of there reference earphones which I use in the music studio and they are excellent. I'm hoping their ear-plugs, which work across selective frequencies, might have something to offer when down the range. The idea of the selective frequency attenuation is that you can hold a conversation (like a range warden/instructor teaching someone how to shoot) but they then attenuate other noise. Not actual ear defenders but might be worth looking into...?
The Etymotic plugs by themselves do not have enough noise reduction for shooting. I have the musicians plugs which have 20db of isolation, but these only have a NRR of 12dB. You certainly want a NRR higher than 23dB.

Gun shots cover enough frequency range that you can not just cut certain frequencies you need to stop them all. I personally use the Etymotic plugs in conjunction with a cheap pair of electronic ear muffs. The muffs amplify the external sounds enough to hear conversation through the ear plugs, but during a shot the amplifiers cut out and I get better protection then with just the muffs.

i have not used any "good" muffs but with $150 budget you should be able to find some electronic muffs with good noise reduction ratings. Of course even more choice in non-electronic muffs or ear plugs.

These are my muffs for $21
http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eprod...eItemID=348524
Old July 29, 2010, 01:35 PM   #8
dyl

I use those Caldwell electronic earmuffs too, in conjunction with a cheap pair of generic orange shooting ear plugs. They work very well together. I don't really try to hear conversation at the range. The "low profile" had NRR of 23 and the regular had 25 if I remember.