The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2006, 09:11 PM   #1
nh10ring

NEF Sights

Scenario: I have less than 2 weeks before the 2006 NH Spring turkey season opens. My 7 year old daughter has decided that she wants to shoot her first turkey. I bought her NEF single shot 20 ga. shotgun: Model: SB1. It has a smooth barrel and only has a single bead. It is not drilled and tapped for any optional mounts. She shoots consistantly high, and I think she is not aiming right with a single bead. She shoots much better with guns that have a rear sight, thus I think she is not keeping her head down on this gun so as to sight along the top of the barrel. With no rear sight to focus on, I think she probably wants to keep her head up in fear of the recoil.

Question: With such a short time limit, what (if any) are my options??? Does anybody make a magnetic or clamp on or stick-on type of rear sight that can help align the bead? I would even consider having the gun drilled and tapped and scoped, but don't know if this can be done in such a short period of time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 19, 2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If you go to a hobby shop you can buy thin-wall black plastic tubing used for model making. Pick out a piece with a hole about 3/16" inside. Get a bottle of the thick gap-filling cyanoacrylic (superglue) cement and a squirt bottle of accelerator and a piece of fine sandpaper. Cut a quarter inch of tubing. Pick a spot at for the sight at the rear of the barrel over the chamber. Lay the sanpaper back-side down over this spot and, orienting the tube parallel to the barrel, press it against the sandpaper and rub back and forth until you just start to break through the wall of the tube and into the hole. Remove the sandpaper, blow off and wipe clean with alcohol, then tack this improvised ghost ring onto the barrel with a tiny bit the glue. Look through the tube while you do this so it winds up correctly aligned. When it is stuck in proper alignment, lay the gun on its side, squirt the sight with the accelerator and run a fillet of glue along it where it meets the barrel. Repeat on the other side.

Your daughter should be able see the bead through the ghost ring only if her head is down. If you don't let her shoot fast enough to heat the barrel much, it will hold. You can get it off later by soaking in acetone and it won't affect the finish.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 19, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

Link for you

This is about the easiest sight I know of to put on a plain barreled 20 guage shotgun. I like it and have used them on shotguns for years.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...ghts&noImage=0
Old April 20, 2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

That's just slicker that whatever lubricant you choose to imagine. And at a reasonable price, too! Do you have to take any special care not to let it bang against things, or is it pretty rugged?

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 20, 2006, 06:01 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

info

The ones I have are made of metal and are fairly rugged. I have bent one in a time or two while going through the woods when limb would bounce off of it, but I have always been able to straighten it back up with my fingers. I like them myself because you can use it for just sbout every kind of shooting.

This one is made of a pretty tough plastic, but I would think it will hold up.
Old April 22, 2006, 03:44 PM   #6
nh10ring

NEF Sights

Thank you both for the suggestions. I liked the quick fix brought up by cntryboy, but did not want to risk the delay in shipment from Cabelas. So I ran with Unclenicks idea, but instead of going to a hobbyshop, I went to the local hardware, where I bought a nylon bushing. I drilled it out a bit bigger, shaped it as unclenick said to and superglued it on. It works just as slick as you can imagine. It keeps my daughter's head down and pounds the shot where it should. Thanks again...
Old April 22, 2006, 05:49 PM   #7
beenthere

Homemade sight

Years ago when I was vying with churchmice for the bottom rung I wanded to go deer hunting in a shotgun only state.

I took a screw type 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch heater hose clamp and filed a V notch to use as a rear sight. I mounted it under the wooden forearm and was able to move it up and down the barrel taper for elevation adjustment. Crude as it is it worked pretty darned good.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour