The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 29, 2000, 09:49 AM   #1
Judge Blackhawk

Does anyone shoot with a tang sight? Also, is it just target shooting are do you use them to hunt also?

I am thinking about putting one on my Marlin 1895 45-70 and just wanted to know your opinions.

Also, I think the tang sights look much better, but the Ashley sights seem to be nice.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Judge Blackhawk

------------------
Gun Control is the acceptance of the death of the innocent victim in exchange for the life of the criminal perpetrator.
Old May 29, 2000, 10:57 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I use a tang sight on my Rolling Block. But right now only have access to 100 yd range. I'm basically looking through the rear aperture then through the buckhorn.
Old May 29, 2000, 11:55 AM   #3
Herodotus

Never used one.
After reading Jack O'Conner's terrible story about how one of these took out an a unwary and newly wed bride's eye out on her honeymoon back in the 30's (?), I have been paranoid about them ever since. Probably just a tick of mine.
Old May 30, 2000, 06:49 PM   #4
Noban

I use a tang sight on my .45-70 Sharps replica. That in combination with the globe front sight make for very precise sighting.

A good tang sight will pivot fore and aft on its base for ease in storage and transportation. A side benefit is that on recoil, if it should jump back into your face (as i experience once in a while) it will lay down rather than gouge your head. After a few bumps, you learn better head placement.

Noban
Old May 31, 2000, 03:21 PM   #5
Tracy Davis

I use tang sights on 2 Mod. 1899 Savages and on a mod. 375 Marlin. I like them and they look great. Never had a problem. Would like to put one on my Browning 1886 in 45-70 but hate to drill it.
TD
Old May 31, 2000, 11:13 PM   #6
Jay Baker

I've shot two rifles, a Marlin 1894 Cowboy, and an old Winchester .38-55, with tang sights. I found them very uncomfortable to shoot as it was very difficult to get a proper grip around the stock, where the tang was attached. I wouldn't like one on my rifles. FWIW. J.B.
Old June 1, 2000, 09:12 AM   #7

Moved to the Cowboy Forum, as many of the BP and late reproduction arms use the Tang system(s) for longer ranges.
Old June 1, 2000, 09:30 AM   #8
David Roberson

Jay Baker has a good point. I had a tang sight on my Remington Rolling Block replica, and the sight was right where my hand needed to grip the stock. It was an ongoing annoyance. I now have an 1874 Sharps replica, and the tang sight on it does not get in the way, at least for me. I'd suggest trying before you buy -- this is probably a matter of personal preference, and I'd bet there are Remingon shooters who don't like the tang sight placement on the Sharps.
Old June 1, 2000, 02:36 PM   #9
wakal

I have a Lyman tang sight on my Winchester '94. Personally, I think it works just like the ghost rings on my 'tactical' shotguns...very fast target aquisition, accuracy still decent at distance.

Plus, it makes my rifle easier to find in the rack...

A
Old June 1, 2000, 05:22 PM   #10
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Some folks around here use tang sights on both long range rifles and on CAS match rifles. The Marbles tang sights are very good,being adjustable for both windage and elevation, A lot of shooters who use these in CAS matches remove the eyepiece,using the larger hole left as a sort of ghost ring.

Bellicose Bill
Old June 1, 2000, 11:39 PM   #11
plinkr

Just put a tang on my win. 94 trails'end,and love it. Happens to fit just right so my hand still wraps around the tang. I understand on the Marlin cowboys it makes you put your thumb alongside the tang.
I was shooting cloverleafs at fifty yards last week,using the smallest aperture. For me,that's good shooting. Atribute it to the sight picture.
AND it looks real neat,too.