The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2000, 10:13 PM   #1
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi All,

I have a 12 Ga. Flare pistol for boating. (signaling for help, repelling boarders, discouraging jetskiers, etc., etc.)

Has (and if you haven't, please don't) anyone tried these 12 Ga. flares in a real gun? I thought about it and dimly recall someone getting one stuck in the barrel with the result that they needed a new barrel. I would love to be able to stick a few of these in my kit for emergency purposes, but am unwilling to possibly ruin a barrel testing.

Any thoughts?

Giz
Old January 5, 2000, 12:43 AM   #2
Will Fennell

Gizmo,
Somebody[I'll find out who] make a 12ga flare that is DESIGNED to be fired from a regular 12ga shotgun. Dad has some packed in his waterproof box that goes offshore fishing with him. I've test fired them, ...they work. I'll go over to his house this weekend and get a brand name for you.

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will Fennell/CAMILLUS CUTLERY

Old January 5, 2000, 12:46 AM   #3
Dorcas

Gizmo99,

I think they offer them at www.dragonsbreath.com . BTW, would it be alright if I emailed you to ask you some questions about your scout rifle?

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...
Old January 5, 2000, 12:30 PM   #4
Spyderman

Also see http://www.funammo.com they have a ton of 12 gauge gadgets, including flares and "pest control" rounds. Lots of gimick stuff, but they guarantee them to be "firearm friendly". If nothing else, request a free catalog.
-Spyderman