The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2014, 04:16 PM   #1
HAMMER1DOWN

155 grain Berger VLD Target for 308

Hey everyone. Gophers (whistle Pigs) are starting to come out and this will be the first year I will be able to really get into them again. I went to the local Big R and bought some of the 155 VLD's for my 308. But for the life of me I can't find data for them online. I know I can buy the book but I would have to order it. I want to get some loads worked up so I can get the testing done. Does anyone have the manual that can help me out with start and max loads for the following powders.

-IMR-4895
-Varget
-H380
-IMR-4350
-H4895
-X-Terminator

thanks a bunch. And any knowledge on loading the bergers will be appreciated. I have never loaded them before.

Thanks Again,
Hammer
Old March 24, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Bart B.

Use the same load data as what's listed for Sierra's 155's. I've shot both bullets with the same load with excellent results. 45 to 46 grains of IMR4895 or Varget have an excellent track record but start 4 grains under just to be on the safe side. Shoot at least 10-shots per group in tests. IMR4350's way too slow; that's for 200 and 220 grain match bullets in a .308 case. No ball powder I know of has ever shot consistant great accuracy levels loaded under any bullet in a .308 Win case. Ball powders do OK for com-bat ammo but not com-petition ammo.

The Sierra's shot best gently pushed into the rifling when chambered but the Berger need about a .010" jump. Check Berger's web site for details on that.
Old March 24, 2014, 06:16 PM   #3
HAMMER1DOWN

With the short "shank" on the 155's will the neck have a proper tension or hold on the bullets if I seat them out a bit further to give them the jam or jump I need? I have a factory barreled Rem 700 SF (or VSF, but it isn't stainless). I have had great luck with the 168, 175, and 190 grain SMK's. Just figured a lighter bullet going faster would be more appropriate for the whistle pigs and rock chucks this summer.
Old March 26, 2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Jimro

Don't worry about neck tension, as long as the bullet is held in place during handling you are good. If you go beyon mag length for your rifle, just single load.

Jimro
Old March 26, 2014, 10:04 AM   #5
HAMMER1DOWN

Thanks Jimro. I always wondered about the importance that neck tension had on bullets and if was important to have as much of the bullet as possible held in by the neck. On my 223 loads I shoot the 40 grain ballistic tips and have them seated out as far as the mag will let me. And only half of the neck is holding the bullets but they shoot like a dream.