The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 18, 2013, 12:35 AM   #1
BDD8

YouTube gun community

I'd take what is said on YouTube guns videos with a grain of salt (review vids I think are ok...keeping in mind they are the opinions of just one gun owner). Especially from jokers who reveal themselves (e.g. what they look and sound like, talking about what guns they own and what ammo they "prefer" in case of a home invasion/self-defense...as if this happens to them on a weekly basis and they know from real world experience).

There's this guy from Florida that talks about guns & accessories like he's on the Home Shopping Network selling purses and fake jewlery. Wanting to "educate" people. Telling them what to buy if this and that. Neglecting to mention that some states have different gun laws and that some judges might actually end up making an example out of you even if you were in the right. Defending your home or family.

How some states require guns to be locked in a locked safe at all times. Where having huge knives and loaded guns strategically placed around your house would be an offense. And help get you prosecuted after you've shot an intruder.

Some states still don't have Castle Laws in place.
Old February 18, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2
LelloBeetle

I'm not defending the guy, but he just did a video stating exactly what you just said should be considered.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:02 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Gun video production values, pet peeves...

This is a good topic but it brings up a lot of practical points.
Many of these clips have low production values or problems that could be fixed.
Here are a few I see & I'm sure it annoys other gun owners/forum members who watch the DV content or use soc media;
1) Talking on a active gun range or with loud noise in the audio(background). This is an easy fix, just go where no one is shooting guns, . I've seen pro shooters & shooting industry reps do it too.
2) Practice or rehearse what you are going to say! The "uhhhs" & "duhhhs" get boring real fast.
3) Speak clearly and avoid slang, lingo or sarcasism. It's sometimes hard to hear the video dialogue. I also dislike the video clips with constant jokes, profanity, humor or graphics. To be light or entertaining is one thing but it's difficult to take you seriously. Firearms are not props or toys. If you want to tell jokes go to open mike night at the local Improv.
4) Stay sober! Really.
5) Use a clean, organized set or background with no distractions. I don't want to see your piles of dirty clothes, your stacks of paperwork on your desk, etc.
6) Avoid extreme close-ups. It's creepy & not very professional.
7) Avoid wearing masks, sunglasses, etc. Some gun video content contains people who look sketchy or strung out.

Clyde
Old February 18, 2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Sheriff Gotcha

I only watch Hickok45 vids personally, because I like his dry sense of humor, the way he presents himself as well as his lengthy knowledge on the subject at hand.

Other than that I don't watch many other "gun" YouTubers with exception to an occasional MrColinNoir or Yeager/Clint Smith video.

I don't know exactly whom you are talking about, but I have to say that you bring up very good points and I think everyone should heed your advice before watching any videos about firearms on YouTube.

People need remember facts are not a necessity when posting YouTube content, regardless of the topic.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:20 AM   #5
qwiksdraw

There's some other good ones out there besides Hickok45 who is one of my favorites.

My other favorites are: nictaylor00, tnoutdoors, sturmgewehre and of course Gunblastdotcom.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:32 AM   #6
jdncsu

i think tnoutdoors does great videos.. direct and to the point without a whole lot of hoopla. just shows HIS results on ammo plenty of folks carry.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

tnoutdoors and andrelenger or something of the sort are my favorites. and Hickok45 because I wish he was my grandpa.

Anyways, Clyde has is down. They should read that.
Old February 18, 2013, 12:31 PM   #8
LockedBreech

hickok45, tnoutdoors9, and Sturmgewere are great, great, great.

But you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't also watch mrcolionoir. Awesome videos, great production values, narrated smooth as butter.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Skans

Quote:
Where having huge knives strategically placed around your house would be an offense.
Just curious, which states prohibit having huge knives??? Not aware of this - not saying it isn't so, but I didn't think any of the states have legislated against large knives in a residence.

The videos I watch mostly have to do with take-down and assembly of firearms - those are invaluable. I also like to watch some of the bump-fire stock videos - now some of those could get me to possibly part with my $$$!
Old February 18, 2013, 02:28 PM   #10
zeke4351

YouTube gun community

My mom always told me that as long as I kept my mouth shut no one would ever know how dumb or smart I was. It has really worked out for me and it makes me wonder what other people's mom told them that makes all these experts. Lets see... X is unknown... Spurt is a drip under pressure. There ya go. Expert = unknown drip under pressure.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:19 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Thanks for the kind words....

Thanks to the forum members for the kind words.
My point(s) are not really directed at the gun owners or armed professionals who are members here but for new/entry level people in the general public who view these YouTube clips to learn more about guns or gear/tactics.

I will add that the Internet has many informed, well made video clips by regular people or firearm industry members who do good work.

Clyde