The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 8, 2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Manos de Piedra

Can you cut down a synth stock?

I have a moss 590 thats a bit long. I have never had a synth stock on any of my guns before. Can you cut these down? Can I do it myself or do I need a smithy?
Old July 8, 2010, 07:26 AM   #2
RoscoeC

Heres one technique:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=63943

I have also seen a technique where you cut a wood insert that fits inside the shortened stock and fix it in place with roll pins. Then you screw the recoil pad to the wood insert.
NRA Life Member
Old July 8, 2010, 07:36 AM   #3
oneounceload

Depending on your definition of "a bit long", you might be able to just sand it some. Check where your screw holes and if they run more than what you are cutting off, you'll need an improvisation as mentioned above. I would imagine if you cut the wood exact enough, some wonder glue would hold it in place
Old July 8, 2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Slopemeno

Try removing the recoil pad and take a look inside the stock. Chances are once you cut it down 1/2" or so you'll loose the molded in tabs that the recoil pad screws into. The 590's and 500's share most parts, so I'm sure you can find a youth-sized synthetic stock for it.

If you decide to try gluing your recoil pad back on after shortening the stock, try E6000 glue. That stuff is amazing, and stays flexible for decades.
Old July 8, 2010, 09:21 AM   #5
noyes

With pictures

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...816&highlight=
Old July 14, 2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Evyl Robot

I wanted to set up a 20-gauge for my boy to shoot. Started with a 1300 that had the barrel cut down to 19-inches. I marked a factory synthetic stock using a ruler all the way around and then used a circular saw to cut it off. There was plenty of room to put the screws back in the tabs at that point. I went ahead and filled the void inside the stock with lead wheel weights to put the center of gravity rearward and to soak up a little recoil. Seems to work fine!
Old July 14, 2010, 06:47 PM   #7
scorpion_tyr

Or you can sell the Mossberg and get a Remington with a 18" barrel.