The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 9, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
mitranoc

AR15 sling position question

I've found that my two point sling was positioned perfectly, until I put a vertical grip on my AR. The problem is that my vertical grip is dangerously close to the family jewels. Currently my sling is mounted towards the front of my free floating JP handguard, and to the back of my Magpul ACS-L stock. If I mount the sling to a castle nut mount, will this make a difference? I do not want to change the position of my grip unfortunately.

George Washington
Old March 9, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Striker1

How is it going to hit you? Are you planning on walking around with the rifle hanging "free"?
Old March 9, 2013, 11:28 AM   #3
mitranoc

Quote:
How is it going to hit you? Are you planning on walking around with the rifle hanging "free"?
It will hit me easily, the grip is directly in line with anatomy. For the next two weekends I will be pig hunting... and walking the properties.

George Washington
Old March 9, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Striker1

Most any will allow that if you don't keep control of the rifle or push it around to the side.

If it has a quick tension adjustment, I would set it up so it rides higher across your chest with the butt close to your shoulder/arm pit area.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5
mitranoc

I'll give that a try.. Thanks

George Washington
Old March 9, 2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Striker1

One thing to be careful of, is if you carry it across your body, the selector can be pushed or rubbed off "SAFE" so if a piece of gear or anything contacts the trigger you can easily have a unintended discharge of the weapon.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Destructo6

You can try moving the rear sling mount to the right hand side of the buttstock. That should help keep the rifle from wanting to flip over when slung. The appropriate adapter is available from Magpul for about $15.

BTW, why is that weapon off safe? That's a dozen doughnut mistake.

Keep all of them clean.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Theohazard

Mitranoc, I'm having trouble identifying your exact type of stock (I'm on my phone), but the problem seems to be that you have your sling attached to the bottom of your stock.

The problem is that most stocks these days have the sling QD mount towards the bottom. Attaching your sling to the bottom of the stock causes the top of the rifle to tilt away from you, and that makes the grip and the magazine poke into uncomfortable areas.

For this reason, I never recommend attaching the sling to the buttstock QD point if it's anywhere near the bottom of the stock. Don't attach the sling to the slots near the bottom of the stock, either. Instead, use the slots that are usually on the top rear of the stock. Some setups won't let you fully collapse the stock if you have a sling through the slot, but that's a small price to pay to prevent yourself from being whacked by your grip or your magazine.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Erno86

If I can make a suggestion...is that you have your vertical foregrip mounted abit to far back. By moving the foregrip further forward, you'll use the grip as a witness point, by grasping the forearm with your thumb pointed towards the target, with the bottom of your hand butted up against the vertical foregrip --- will make it much easier in controlling recoil --- from rapid fire shots.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:23 PM   #10
gunmoney

Move your vertical grip forward and your front sling attachment point back.