The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1
ekslayer

30-30 bullet options

I am new to reloading. I just picked up a bunch of supplies from a friend of mine to reload for my savage bolt action 30-30. I have everything except for bullets. Since I have to buy some anyway I might as well ask this question. What bullets would anyone recommend? Im gonna start off with some target rounds but I wanna load some hunting rounds also. Im looking to maximize range and effectiveness. Im trying to weigh the options for different nose types, weights and all.
Old February 26, 2014, 01:07 AM   #2
hoghunting

Since your rifle is a bolt action instead of a lever action, you don't have to use flat nose bullets as you don't have a tubular magazine. I would try Hornady's 150 gr SST as it will work for a target round and will work very well as a hunting round with the slower velocity of the 30-30.

Welcome to the forum.
Old February 26, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

One problem is the COL and what the magazine will take. Bullets seated too far out and they won't load into the magazine. The other is the chamber throat and how far you can seat bullets out.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:44 PM   #4
mikld

For my single shot 30-30 I have loaded bullets from 140 gr. LFN to 168 gr. Nosler Match bullets and have loaded a lot of M2 pulls, 147-150 gr FMJ and FMJBT. For load data I went with Contender data and of course started at starting loads...

Got some pretty accurate loads with the 168s, in my Handi Rifle, a bit under 2" @ 100 yds. and lots of good shooting with the surplus bullets...
Old February 28, 2014, 02:03 AM   #5
1ruralmailman

i load hornady ftx leverloutions in my wifes 3030. hers is a savage bolt as well,27.5 grains of varget gives her less than one inch groups and is fat out to 200 yards.it is an extremely hard hitting bullet as well one shot bang flop dead on everything she ever pointed it at.
Old February 28, 2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Real Gun

I have waited months for FTX bullets, which are mainly for lever guns. I would look elsewhere and save the frustration. You have the luxury of being able to use pointed bullets, which offer a number of choices.
Old February 28, 2014, 01:21 PM   #7
davem

Well if it is a bolt action and a 30 caliber, I'll bet the farm the rate of twist is the same as for a 30-06. The 30-06 usually is most accurate with a 165 grain bullet. If you look at 30-06 "match" ammo, it usually uses a 165 grain bullet.
Several options. Hornady sells a flat nosed 170 grain bullet that was designed for the 30-30. By "designed" I mean the jacket, etc was set for a typical 30-30 velocity and that with the flat point ought to give you a good load for hunting deer at 100 yards (70-150 yards). For up to 200 yards you could go with a 165 grain flat base. A flat base is usually more accurate than a boat tail. A boat tail is for bucking the wind- higher long range velocity but in a 30-30 at a very long range the velocity drop will be too much any way so a boat tail wouldn't be that much help. I think at normal 30-30 velocity, for deer- around 200 yards ought to be an approximate limit on range.
I'm told that in a bolt action the 30-30 is a very accurate load, good luck.
Old February 28, 2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Jimro

You have a Savage bolt action 30-30.

I recommend a 165 grain boat tail soft nose spitzer. Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady boat tail soft point spitzer, or Speer, as a starting point.

Generally the 30-30 is loaded with either a 150 or 170gr flat point bullet, so the is a good compromise between "flat shooting" and "harder hitting" but the boat tail spitzer design will effectively double the max effective range of your rifle (if we assume you need 1000 ft/lbs of energy to cleanly take game).

If you can safely get that 165 boat tail spitzer bullet to 2,250 fps you'll not drop below 1000 ft/lbs of energy until past 330 yards. Hogdon lists two powders that will push a 170gr flat point bullet to those velocities, LeverEvolution and CFE223, and one that comes close, BLC-2.

170 flat point launched at 2,250 fps will drop below 1k ft/lbs at 160 yards. It should be noted that a LOT of deer have been slain by the flat point bullets, and most at ranges significantly less than 160 yards.

Jimro
Old February 28, 2014, 02:22 PM   #9
davem

jimro- my concern was reliable bullet expansion. The way I was thinking is a 30-30 with a lower velocity. When you get out the 300 yards the velocity might be so low that the bullet would not expand as desired even if the rated foot/pounds was there. In other words- what I don't know is whether the jacket on a bullet designed for a 30-06 is thicker than a jacket on a same diameter bullet that the manufacturer intends to be used on a 30-30. To put it another way, if the jacket on the 170gr Hornaday is thinner than on the typical 30-06 bullet, then would the Hornady come apart/disintegrate on an animal at a 30-06 velocity or would the jacket be strong enough to hold the mushroom shape of an expanded bullet- if that makes sense.
I actually called some bullet manufacturers on this but could never get a straight answer.
Old February 28, 2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Jimro

Davem,

Hence the soft nose spitzer bullets and the 1000 foot pound energy range restriction.

Lethality comes from Accurately placing the bullet where you want, the bullet penetrating to destroy vital tissues, and expansion as an afterthought to make a bigger permanent wound channel (some bullets are designed only for penetration).

Having seen what a 123gr Rem Corelokt bullet will do to a deer when fired from a 7.62x39 CZ 527, through both lungs, bullet recovered just under the skin on the far side, 80 yard shot, I have NO qualms about using a traditional cup and core bullet like a Hornady or Sierra Game King from a 30-30.

Nothing wrong with sticking to tradition and using flat nosed bullets, they work just fine.

Jimro
Old March 1, 2014, 12:16 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Every rifle has its preference. I suppose the easiest way to find out which weight shoots best. Buy a couple box's of store bought in different grain weights but both having the same brand name. See which groups better. Then simply build your own recipe with your rifles preferred bullet weight. Just try not to get caught up in all that specialty bullet hype of which one is better than the other or all the others combined. Since you have a Savage bolt probably F-point or Pointed soft point (flat base) bullet will meet your needs. BTW: welcome to TFLF.
Old March 2, 2014, 08:41 PM   #12
McShooty

I assume you have a Savage Model 340. Mine has proven to be very accurate with either the standard .30-30 bullets made for lever actions or with spritzers in the 150-165 gr range. For target work, the standard Sierra 170-gr flat nose is a very accurate bullet. Interestingly, Sierra 155-gr Palma Match bullets gave me great accuracy but it is a poor bullet for hunting. It is hard to beat the Hornady 160-gr FTX for accuracy and performance on game. The good thing about this bullet is that the cannelure is in the right place for crimping so the round will still work in the box magazine of the 340. I have had best results with W748, IMR 3031, and LEVERevolution powders.

My 340 has a lot of free bore and has to be well stoked to give decent velocities. I don't know if this is a general characteristic of 340s or not.
Old March 3, 2014, 07:37 AM   #13
Real Gun

Quote:
It is hard to beat the Hornady 160-gr FTX for accuracy and performance on game.
Good luck finding any. The information on my backorders is that they are out of stock indefinitely.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:10 AM   #14
Jimro

Even Rem Corelokt flat base spitzers or Winchester Power Point bullets will work just fine to kill deer.

If you don't plan on shooting past 160 yards even the old flat nose bullets are a very good choice.

Just fine something in stock, and load them up

Jimro
Old March 3, 2014, 11:16 AM   #15
McShooty

I think it is true that you will play heck finding any of the items mentioned in these comments. Powder is going to be very scarce for the rest of the year, according to my local dealer. Last week I bought two lbs of IMR 3031 at his establishment and felt lucky to get it. It is a very versatile powder for medium sized thirty calibers. He says other dealers he knows are going to take what powder they have off their shelves and sell it on line. Doesn't make sense to me if you have to pay hazmat shipping, but folks will probably drive 200 miles for local pickup. Another story from my FLGD: Fifty round boxes of .22 WRM are bringing $50 apiece.