The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 19, 2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Do suppressors and/or barrel threads affect POI?

On rifles, particularly.

Say I've got myself a nice .308 load that is accurate in my bolt action, would threading my barrel and fitting a can affect POI?

I am interested about both steps. The threading and then the can.

This is of interest because if I get the barrel threaded, I want to know if I'd have to re-work my loads, or if I have to do so only if the can is fitted.
Old December 19, 2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I doubt the threading will have much effect.
The mass and length of the silencer will.

I can't predict whether the silencer will affect group size, but I would expect it to move POI. So turn the knobs on your scope or sight.
Old December 19, 2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Yes...

My FN Special Police is zeroed dead on at 100 without my can (762SDN-6). When i attach the suppressor the same load groups 4.5" low and 1.75" left.

No other change. Just can or no can.

No real change in group size just a shift in POI
Old December 19, 2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Yes, more often than not.

Some will tighten groups. Some will open groups.

How much POI shift occurs or group size changes will depend on the relationship of the particular rifle and suppressor. It sounds weird, but the same suppressor on two different rifles will not necessarily produce the same result on both rifles.

Tried a suppressor on my 6.5 Grendel. I did not like the results.

Rifle: Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Upper
Barrel length: 24"
Optic: Pulsar N750
Suppressor: AAC 762 (don't know which one)
Attachment method: AAC 300 flash hider
Ammunition: Hornady Grendel 123 gr. SST
Range: 100 yards
Average group size/# of groups/# of rounds per group unsuppressed: ~ 1 moa
Average group size/# of groups/#of rounds per group suppressed: 2 moa
Average POI shift suppressed H/V: +2" Right/-3" (low)
Suppressor indexed back to same location Y/N: Y

Comments: Tested suppressor on 2 days, back to back with same results. Basically, it was a significant change to add the suppressor. Opted NOT to hunt with it because of the radical POI change.
Old December 19, 2014, 03:11 PM   #5
wogpotter

I tested a rifle for this a while back, at least the threading part. I pulled a used non threaded barrel I was familiar with & replaced it with a threaded one that was newer, but of the same weight & length. Accuracy was unchanged & POI only moved about 1"@ 100 yds for a 5-round group.

When I attached a "combination device" (Flash suppressor/muzzle brake/grenade launcher) the POI moved almost 7".

The rifle was a FAL in .308 Win/7.62 NATO. Group size was better with the combo device, but only by a small amount.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 19, 2014, 03:51 PM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Hmmm.

Well it is impossible to know if threading the barrel will have a positive, neutral or negative effect... until after I've actually done it!!

I've already started another thread on which suppressor to choose. Someone there hinted that getting a .30 cal silencer would do the job on my .223 also.

If so, then at least that way I only have to purchase one and if it does not work on either, I've "only" lost €350, instead of €600...
Old December 19, 2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Snyper

Just threading the barrel will have little to no effect on POI or groups size

It's when you start adding on objects like a supressor or barrel weights that you start changing the harmonics, and POI as well as group size can be affected
Old December 19, 2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Just threading the barrel will have little to no effect on POI or groups size

It's when you start adding on objects like a supressor or barrel weights that you start changing the harmonics, and POI as well as group size can be affected
That pretty much nails what I wanted to know. Thanks!!
I now plan to get my barrel threaded to match my AR's threading.

So what I may need to do is develop a "suppressor load" to match the suppressed gun and a regular load for when I have no can fitted.
Old December 19, 2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

It may not be possible to develop a "suppressor load" to mimic the POI and group of firing unsuppressed, if that is what you are trying to do. On top of that, you may not need to do so. It just depends on how your rifle and ammo currently perform.
Old December 19, 2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
It may not be possible to develop a "suppressor load" to mimic the POI and group of firing unsuppressed, if that is what you are trying to do.
That's not so much the goal as simply developing a load that shoots well suppressed. It does not have to have the same POI as the unsuppressed load, so long as I can maintain/approximate groups size.

If my standard load shoots a nominal 1MOA without the can, but spreads out with the can, I will try to develop a load that brings the group size down again. It may mean turning turrets between one load and another, but that is fine.
Old December 19, 2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Bart B.

Adding anything to the barrel's muzzle changes its resonant and harmonic frequencies. They both go lower because there's more mass at the muzzle end. Bullets will leave at a different angle the muzzle axis is pointing at upon their exit.
Old December 19, 2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Snyper

Quote:
So what I may need to do is develop a "suppressor load" to match the suppressed gun and a regular load for when I have no can fitted.
You'll probably want to do that anyway , because if you keep the suppressed loads sub-sonic, they will be MUCH quieter than faster loads

One easy way to do it is use very heavy bullets compared to your regular load

If you want to use the supressor while hunting, you may not be able to slow your loads too much, depending on the game and distances involved
Old December 20, 2014, 04:06 AM   #13
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
If you want to use the supressor while hunting,
Prohibited anyway, here!
Old December 20, 2014, 12:18 PM   #14
marine6680

Did I read correctly and someone was using two different barrels to measure accuracy differences in threaded and non-threaded?

All that does is tell you the difference between the barrels...

As far as threading a barrel, the amount of material removed may cause a slight shift in POI, but probably not enough to notice. If you add a thread protector to cover the threads, than that may cause a little more POI shift.

Most likely nothing will happen to group sizes.

A suppressor will most likely cause a significant impact shift. If the suppressor indexes to the same spot when removed and reinstalled, the POI shift should be consistent in its change, and that can be corrected for. If not, you would have to leave the suppressor on all the time or re-zero every time you installed it.

As far as group size... A well designed suppressor should not affect group size adversely, or very much if it does. Poor designs can creat turbulence that affects the bullet in different ways every shot, which opens up groups. There are also several variables involved, so even a good suppressor can cause issues with some rifles, so trying a different one may be needed in that case.

A 30 caliber suppressor will work with a 5.56, but it will not be as quiet as a dedicated 5.56 can.

Also, the thread sizes will most likely be different... As the 30 cal can uses larger threads, meaning an adapter would be needed for the 5.56 rifle, unless you had the barrel threaded the same... But seeing as this is most likely for your AR, that isn't possible, as it is already threaded.

I would say the best bet is to get a dedicated 5.56 can for your AR, as you can get versions that use the existing A2 flash hider for quick connect/disconnect.
Old December 23, 2014, 04:52 AM   #15
Snyper

Quote:
Prohibited anyway, here!
LOL
I'm not current on UK's hunting regulations

They just made suppressor hunting legal here, but you still have to go through the same process as buying a machine gun to aquire one