The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 26, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Question on SMLE Bayonet

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I have a SMLE No 4 MK1 and three bayonets, none of which will begin to fit. I'm pretty sure these spike bayos are of the correct vintage but the barrel diameter appears to be too large. None of the Bayonets will even start more than a 1/4", if that, and don't come close to engaging the locking tabs further down the barrel. Century Arms did stamp their name on the barrel a inch or so back from the end ut that doesn't look to be causing any problem. I know some of my Mosin Nagant rifles are picky when it comes to bayonets, but with three different Enfield bayonets to work with you would think one would fit. Or at least slide partially on the rifle.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old November 26, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

Do you have have any pictures of the rifle and the bayonets. I have eight spike bayonets and they will fit on any of my No. 4 rifles.

TK
Old November 26, 2013, 09:17 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

All my spike bayonets fit on any of the No. 4 rifles I own. Something is odd.

Have the muzzle rings been flattened? I once bought a US bayonet at an antique shop, without seeing that some do-gooder had vised the ring down a fraction, so it would no longer mount.

Post a picture of the bayonets, please.

They should press fit right on, and turn to lock. Start with the spike under the muzzle, then turn to the side to lock when fully on, that's how they should work, anyway. Oil 'em up and see if that helps.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:36 PM   #4
tahunua001

I'm thinking you have NO1 bayonets and are attempting to put it on a NO4.
Old November 27, 2013, 12:25 AM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
I'm thinking you have NO1 bayonets and are attempting to put it on a NO4.
OP has stated that he has "spike bayonets."

I have run into that same problem where some spikes were extremely tight on some of my No. 4s. I would suggest using a dial caliper and measure the OD of the barrel and the ID of each of your bayonets. Also, closely examine the barrel for any small nicks that might cause a problem as well as the interior of the bayonets for nicks and roundness.

Last edited by gyvel; November 27, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old November 27, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6
wogpotter

Just to clarify a "rifle No4 Mk (whatever)" is NOT an SMLE.
The bayonet fittings are totally different on the two, the bayonets for the No4 rifle have a collar but no real handle & surround the barrel's muzzle to attach. The SMLE bayonets have a full handle & hang below the end-cap of the forend.

Have you really cleaned the inside rings of the bayonet socket? Old, dry cosmo can lurk in there. Has the rifle been repainted/refinished? If so multiple layers of paint may have increased the diameter of the muzzle.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 27, 2013, 04:20 PM   #7
HawkeyeNRAlifer

All three bayonets are of the spike type, with the spring loaded button. I haven't miked the barrel because there is such a difference in the diameter I thought they must fit a different model. Not too experienced with British firearms and the various MKs and sub categories.
I'm in the midst of packing for a holiday trip to the MIL's house, so it will be a few days before I can post a picture or two.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Old November 28, 2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Mk VII

I had one with a 7.62x51 barrel and it would only accept one of the large number of spikes I had on hand to test on it.
Old November 29, 2013, 04:34 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, a Rifle No. 4 barrel measures .592" ahead of the bayonet lugs, and .725" across them. (Measurements from a rifle; I don't know what the specs were.)

Jim