The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
browninghunter86

Lubing a 1911

Ok can someone help me with what type of lube to use on a new 1911? Do I want to use a grease or oil or combination? I used Rem Oil and it was dry withing 10 minutes. So I am in need of guidance.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Courtesy of 1911Tuner and M1911.ORG: http://www.m1911.org/technic23.htm
Old February 20, 2013, 11:59 PM   #3
RickB

An old rule of thumb is "grease if it slides, oil if it rotates".
I prefer, "grease if I can't readily reach it and so won't be re-lubing for a while, and oil if I can reapply between range trips".
Old February 21, 2013, 12:05 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

CLPs, gun care...

New gun owners & entry level net-savvy shooters are all around the USA now.

For cleaning & lube, I'd suggest a synthetic CLP or maybe the great German product; Ballistol, www.Ballistol.com . Top choices include; www.gunzilla.us www.mpro7.com LPX, www.Weaponshield.com . I'd add some Hoppes #9 or Butchs Bore Solvent for the barrel. Include a slick Hoppes Viper barrel cleaner too. Brownells markets a 1911 series catalog for gun care parts, spare parts, gear. See: www.brownells.com .
Remember to use a small amount of gun oil or CLP. It's not like a salad dressing. Gunsmiths & LE armorers always say improper cleaning or using a lot of grease/oil is a big problem with semi-auto pistols.
For grease or lube products, see; www.glockstore.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.grafs.com .
A CLP like LPX or Gunzilla(used by many combat troops in SW Asia) is a good start.

Clyde
Old February 21, 2013, 12:07 AM   #5
KyJim

Lots of good lubes but RemOil is toward the bottom of the list for this purpose. I use a lot of Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30 full synthetic (brand IS important here as is the fact it is full synthetic). Even though it is oil, it stay on the rails.

Other good oils made specifically for guns include Militec-1 and Weapon Shield. I have found BreakFree CLP is a bit "thin" for this use, though I use it for other things.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:25 AM   #6
browninghunter86

thanks for the link and info so far. I heard the gun will break in and not wear as much so wanting to break it in and keep it lubed good during this process.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Venom1956

I run my 1911s dry!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug