The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 1, 2013, 07:38 PM   #1
barnbwt

Barrel Turning Service DFW

Anyone know of a good smith/machinist that does custom barrel profiling in the DFW area? I have a 24" 50BMG blank I need turned down for my 50 Alaskan build, but it has an ext 1.5" of diameter I need to take care of if I have any hope of mating it to the reciever.

TCB
Old January 2, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
CowTowner

Try calling Williamson Precision Gunsmithing and ask if they can handle it.

117 West Pipeline Road Hurst, TX 76053
(817) 285-0064
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 6, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
barnbwt

I actually found someone locally who will let me turn the barrel on his lathe--provided I learn to do it myself so he can work on his other projects for the hours it will take to complete.

The barrel is 1.75" + scale now, and I need to turn it down to 1.262" stepped to 1.000" (that's a lot of material to remove ). Still, if I can get a passable barrel made from the 100$ blank for the cost of tooling and some pizzas, my 50 Alaskan build may end up under 500$ (250$ so far + 50$ for dies)

The latest in a string of "happy accidents" on this project

TCB