The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Reef

45 ACP Flash hole

Just finished inspecting some twice fired Winchester brass and noticed 6 out of 80 had something protruding from the flash hole upwards towards the mouth. Attached pictures but not sure this site will allow good enough quality to make it out.

Not sure I should reload these, has anyone seen this before?

Reef
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120705_195533.jpg (183.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120705_195640.jpg (199.2 KB, 42 views)
Old July 5, 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
jcwit

Just leftover metal from the flash hole punch. Sloppy manufacturing, but then they still work. I'd take a flash hole tool to them. The type that looks like a center drill.
Old July 5, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3
DeadCenter

It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but could just be burrs, deburring tool will take care of them.
Old July 5, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

If it is just range ammo then there shouldn't be any problem. When loading might need to be more consistent you might want to take a de-burring tool for primers to them. Since I just shoot for fun, I would just load them up and check how they look after the next time around. You can color the head stamp with a magic marker to make it easier to identify them again.
Old July 5, 2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

As already said, it's just a vent (flash hole) punch burr. Bigger than usual, but basically just a little bit of extra brass in the case. Not likely enough to matter. I wouldn't even bother deburring it unless you are just curious to see if you can detect a performance difference. I like playing with that kind of thing, but I wouldn't expect an issue in this case. The powder space under the bullet in a .45 Auto is so small and the distance from the vent to the bullet base is so small the primer will pressurize and ignite the powder just fine as it is, same as it did for the original factory load that it came with.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 5, 2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Edward429451

I do not debur handgun brass flashholes but I do rifle brass. They say it helps normalize the flash pattern somewhat and helps with consistent ignition. I can wrap my mind around that with Rifle rounds. Plus, its easy. I do it while watching tv sometimes.
Old July 6, 2012, 12:08 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

It can help with rifles, especially if they are using spherical propellants. I tried shooting 2520 in my M1A one year and discovered I could reduce the group size from about 1.2 moa to about 0.7 moa by deburring the vents. However, it never made any difference to stick powders in that gun. The reasonable stocl choices could most all be tuned to 0.7 moa in that gun without the extra step, and weren't improved further by it. Only the harder to ignite powder was. In a rifle that was capable of benchrest groups, where a smaller improvement could be detected, it might have been different.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 6, 2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Reef

Many thanks. New at reloading and wasn't sure what that was or what caused it.

Thanks again!