The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 17, 2012, 12:57 PM   #1
fortkevin2

Ammo cans...ammo organization/labeling?

Just curious how you guys organize all your ammo? I'm thinking of getting a couple dozen 50 caliber ammo cans and then labeling each one by what ammo it contains.

Do you use a label maker or...what? Just curious to see your storage ideas. Thanks
Old April 17, 2012, 03:03 PM   #2
BarryLee

I use an assortment of the military surplus containers and the plastic ones. I just segregate it by caliber and/or manufacturer, but don’t really label anything. Ammunition is pretty durable, but I do try to store it in a cool dry location.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 17, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
smith357

I use the a combination of large and small ammo cans along with plastic boxes. I label my ammo with masking tape and a sharpie with the load and date I made them. I even keep a couple of special cans for special things. I have one loaded with moon-clips for competition days and one ready to go as a bug out ammo supply. I generally like the small 200 round 7.62 belt cans because the big 800 round 5.56 ones get heavy when loaded, and I'm getting old and weak.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:49 PM   #4
7jinxed7

Ammo cans and a label maker. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...cat=2000000361
Old April 17, 2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Assorted ammo cans. I sort by rifle, pistol and shotgun ammo. Masking tape and a sharpie takes care of the rest.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
EliteGeek91

I stick a Speer reloading sticker on both the top and end of the ammo can. On the end, so when they're in my room stacked, I can read them. And then on the top for at the range, or such when I'm looking over the cans.

Of course that label has all my reloading info, such as caliber, bullet grain, powder grain, etc.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:08 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Full cases are labeled with a marker if the box markings don't show when on the shelf. I use .50 caliber ammo cans in a steel office cabinet, the separate boxes are stored in them, and they are labeled in marker so I don't need to open the cans to see what's what. The marking cleans off with a bit of alcohol, so I can swap cans if I need to, and don't need a label maker, also, the lettering is the right size to read quickly, a little label doesn't work for me anymore. The locker is great for ammo, there's about 4 full cases in there, some 8mm spam cans, and maybe 20 of the .50 caliber cans, so for $75 at an office surplus store, lots of good storage and lockable doors. The bottom shelf is about 2 inches above the floor, so a little water won't hurt, and it's unobstrusive out in the shop, out of sight, out of mind.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I tried label makers and they eventually curled up and fell off, tried masking tape and the letters faded and the tape was hard to remove. Now no matter what container I use I do the same thing for marking them. A strip of paper cut large enough to print my label large enough for easy reading and cover it with transparent tape like packing tape or scotch tape. It stays legible and is easy to remove if I need to use the container for something else.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 19, 2012, 09:00 AM   #9
shooter-42

I store mil-spec ammo (e.g. Federal XM193) on either stripper clips or loaded in mags. The clips and mags go in ammo can with desiccant packs.

Plink ammo that I reload goes into the little blue utility boxes that I Midway sells and the boxes go into the ammo cans again with desiccant packs.

Match grade ammo goes into MTM plastic ammo boxes with foam on the top lid to protect the tips. The boxes go in the cans with desiccant packs.

Last time I checked I have about 30 ammo cans. Most of them are the standard 50 cal, a handful are the slightly larger SAW cans and a few are the small 30 cal cans.

I also store empty mags in ammo cans.

All cans gets address sized labels on them to which I apply labels I create with a label maker.
Old April 19, 2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Carne Frio

GI ammo cans in many sizes work for me.
I use duck tape and a sharpie for labeling.
Old April 21, 2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Huskerguy

I purchased an inexpensive label maker and make labels for my 50 cal ammo cans. I keep factory ammo labeled and reloads labeled separately. Ammo in cans is also labeled and I use old boxes or Berry's plastic ammo cases. I include all data including the date I loaded the ammo.
Old April 27, 2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Slamfire

Sticky labels fall off. I have used index cards, stuck between the lid and hanging out the front. That works but the cards get torn.

My current solution requires white spray paint. I paint the front of the can and some of the sides, if I want, and let dry. Then I write with magic marker on the paint. Write "44 Mag, 240 L", or "308 LC68 168 SMK".

You can come up with your own ideas.

When can is empty, and needs to be refilled with something else, I paint over the old markings.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:52 PM   #13
7jinxed7

The label maker like the ones i posted above don't fall off. The bad thing is when you want them off they shred when you peel them. Their made of a paper type sticker so they don't come off easy.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Ammo cans, and either masking tape or duct tape and a marker.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 29, 2012, 09:26 AM   #15
NickySantoro

Do you use a label maker or...what?

File folder labels and a pencil
Old May 2, 2012, 04:16 AM   #16
Darto

Try this.

I place a 3x5 index card vertically in the toggle snap latch. It will hold tightly locked in and stick out forward, very easy to see. Especially when I write on the card in very large print with a lindy laundry pen.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:51 PM   #17
farmerboy

I use a label maker I bought from Walmart and use the plastic or paper labels on top and front side and they never fall off. Some have been on for about 12 years.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Fargazer

Plastic ammo boxes (.50 and .30 style) on a set of shelves. .22 and 9mm ammo get large dedicated boxes, AR and AK ammo get dedicated smaller boxes, and the rest are roughly grouped (misc pistol ammo, misc rifle ammo, and so on). As my ammo mix changes, so does the storage.

I've used the Brother label makers, and they work well - I've not had issues with any peeling off, either from the ammo boxes, or the Akro Bins I use.