The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 21, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
vts

Sticky slug hulls in my Rem 870

I shoot several types of slugs through my 870 and all was well.

Until I tried Federal High Velocity 1oz slug, I had to slam the stock into the ground to extract them. I polished the chamber, think I need to do more but must take it shooting first.

I heard story's about Remington getting a little cheap and skimping on these kinds of details.

Does of you who have had the same problem, what did you do to solve it?
What kind of polish?
Did you use wet and dry, and what grit?

Any thing else I could do?

Thanks
Old June 21, 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
john323

Sticky slug hulls in my Rem 870

Do not over do it. Clean it well and make sure it is dry before shooting. PM me and we can talk further. John
Old June 21, 2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

There are several ways of polishing the chamber, probably the simplest is to wrap some 0000 steel wool around a used shotgun bore brush and chuck the rod in an electric drill.
Running the drill at medium speed, keep the brush constantly moving up and down the chamber. This doesn't take long or need much work.
You can also polish out the bore, but make sure the choke is screwed in and don't polish the choke itself.
After polishing, clean the bore out with solvent.

However, the simplest thing to do is just don't use the ammo that caused problems.
Not all guns "like" all ammo.
Old June 21, 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
mapwd

I had this same problem with my Mossberg 9200 semiauto last week shooting trap. I think I had put to much oil in the chamber when I cleaned it last and not got it out before shooting. It was really grunged up. I cleaned it really good this time and will find out on Tuesday if that was the problem.

When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826

Old June 21, 2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Nnobby45

I wouldn't recommend trying to "fix the gun" to make up for bad ammunition. Not the solution IMO.

Had a case of Winchester Ranger low recoil LE slugs. The white ones.

The cheap aluminum "brass" apparently was swelling (even if it was supposed to be low recoil/pressure) enough to cause some sticking. Some of the fired cases were real tight when inserted back into the chamber.

Did it with both of my Scattergun Tech 870's. One's chamber, along with the bore, was polished by Wilson/Scattergun Tech. smooth as could be.

Mine were just sticky enough to interfere with rapid operation of the slide. Finally fired 'em all up mostly one at a time. They were "LE surplus" and now I know why LE got rid of them.

A case of Win. Ranger LE 00 buck with the same thin aluminum has worked fine.

I'll stick with Fed LE slugs from now on.

Haven't had such problems with any other ammo, including Federal Classic full power slugs, but have heard of problems with some of the more "budget" light game loads.
Old June 22, 2009, 12:36 AM   #6
vts

I will try steel wool (0000 grade), if the problem continues.

It is true that all guns don't like all kinds of ammo, it is just that the chamber looks a little rough, and this is a hotter load then what I have shoot before.

I used a dremel and some fine chrome polish, it made the chamber a little more shiny, but the tooling marks can still be seen.

I hope to take it shooting soon, will post result.
Old June 23, 2009, 02:55 PM   #7
fleeterhousen

keep us posted... I want to know how much the polishing does to help out the problem. good luck
Old June 24, 2009, 06:42 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend trying to "fix the gun" to make up for bad ammunition. Not the solution IMO.
I think this is the wise approach. If you has issues with two or more brands/types of shells, then I would consider polishing, but not for just a single brand/style of shell. What model 870 is it?