The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 6, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Rommel

Help identify pistol

I found a percussion pistol in an old barn that is still in working condition. It has the marking of Union Arms and Company, has a screw off barrel with matching serial number of 22 (not a caliber designation as the barrel and grip have the same number).

Any idea of what something like this would be worth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2593.jpg (125.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2595.jpg (124.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2596.jpg (161.0 KB, 74 views)
Old February 7, 2009, 12:00 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

(Thomas K.) Bacon & Co. and W.W. Marston made guns just like that, and both used the name Union Arms Co., but my source (Flayderman's) doesn't indicate a connection between the two manufacturers. Stocking & Co. also made a very similar pistol; again I can find no connection with the other two. While they look like screw [off] barrels, they were not; the octagonal part was decoration, not a place for a wrench.

All three of those makers also made pepperboxes, and the center hammer was derived from that of the pepperbox.

As to value, it would probably retail at around $150-200 in that condition.

(I don't know what an old barn that is still in working condition is worth. )

Jim
Old February 7, 2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Rommel

Pistol

The barrel does screw off, it simply rotates away.

Thanks for the info.

Where would I post such a pistol for sale? Is there a civil war group that would be interested?
Old February 7, 2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Tom2

Flayderman says that Union Firearms Co. was a trade name used by W.W. Marston. Probably dates from the 1850's but might have been sold a little later, no particular connection to the civil war unless you know of something. CW soldiers did sometimes carry something like that as a "backup" if they purchased it privately, but revolvers were more desireable for that purpose and were available at the time. Would be worth at least several hundred dollars but condition is everything when negotiating a price on those kind of arms. Not gonna be some 1000$ rarity I don't think, unless it was pristine in a case or something. Being a muzzleloading antique of questionable functionality, I don't see any restrictions for the sale of it to anyone who wants to pay the price. Sell it wherever they will let you list it, and don't worry about paperwork.
Old February 7, 2009, 03:54 PM   #5
TEDDY

pocket pistol

I have one like, it was going to make them and have several brass castings.
they were very common and cheap in those days,and up to the 1960s.might cost 50 cents.colt 1911s were 32 dollars in 1939.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:55 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The barrels screw off but AFAIK the gun is not meant to be loaded with the barrel off, like a true "screw barrel" pistol. They are normally loaded from the muzzle.

Jim