The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2007, 12:18 PM   #1
stainless shooter

round ball .38s

I,am wondering if anyone has information on specialty loads of two or three round balls in a .38 special. seems it might make an interesting load. thanks for any input.
Old August 31, 2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Rimrod

Remington used to sell them, they were called "Multi-Ball". If I'm not mistaken the .38s used two balls and the .357s had three. They weren't very popular and didn't last long in their catalogs.

They can easily be made by the handloader. I have a .360 round ball mould from Lee and run the balls through a .357 sizer. Start with beginning load data for a wadcutter and work your way up making sure you watch for pressure signs. I've also made them in .32S&W Long, .32 mag, .41 mag, .44 spl., .44 mag and .45 Colt. I have also loaded round balls and smaller diameter bullets in the Speer shot capsules.

The idea is to get multiple hits on a target with each pull of the trigger. The problem is the round balls weigh less then a regular bullet and don't penetrate as well.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake