The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1
78kitty

Magnum Primers for Magnum guns?

Once again in the pursuit of getting a decently accurate handload for my S&W 629 7.5" barreled .44 Mag I must post another question. I've been using cci large pistol primers for my hand loads. The new question is, whether I should be using something hotter like cci's Magnum primers, Federal primers (which I've heard are hotter than cci). Or should I just try them and find out. I've been using 240gr lead and SJHP's w/H110 on the lower end of the recommended charge (23gr) when working up the handloads. I'm still not happy with 12", most being w/in 8" @ 50yds, but it seemed to like 23 gr better than 24gr which is max recommended. Any input or suggestions would be great. Thanks, Dave
Old November 17, 2004, 06:29 PM   #2
steveno

H-110 and WW-296 probably should be used with magnum primers. all other powders can be used with standard primers
Old November 17, 2004, 08:25 PM   #3
larryf1952

As Steveno related, the use of "magnum" primers is determined more by the type of powder one will be using, and the load that one is trying to achieve, than whether the gun that round will be fired from is called a "magnum".

I shoot many loads in my .357 and .44 Magnums that don't require magnum primers. But, as powder burn rates get slower, especially in large pistol cases like the .44 magnum, powders like H110, 296, 2400, AA#9, etc., tend to work better with magnum primers. With slower burning powders, a standard primer may not have the intensity or duration to completely ignite the charge, thereby causing inconsistent ignition and accuracy, velocity swings, and more unburnt powder granules.

If you're using H110, try a magnum primer with a mid-range load, you may well see your groups tighten up.
Old November 29, 2004, 08:13 PM   #4
rustylp

yes

the mag primer is better with certin rounds and powders