The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Tex S

Every headstamp under the sun...

I am starting to load 45 auto. I have been collecting brass for awhile, and I seem to have a little bit of everything in the brass headstamp category.

My question is do I need to develop starting loads for each headstamp and work them up, or can I find a safe load for 1 headstamp and use the same recipe for all others?

I don't want to do anything dangerous, but at the same time, I dont want to waste time working up loads for 10 different headstamps.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you're looking to cook up a good plinking recipe then I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Most of your quality brand brass is basically manufactured under similar standards generally speaking. Yes, some brands such as Starline has higher manufacturing standards than Remington. But for range/plinking purposes you won't see much difference in .45ACP brass.

Just be sure to inspect the brass for condition and throw out the garbage brands and you'll be fine. My personal opinion on which brass I chuck is Amerc, PMC, and now S&B.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 4, 2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Tex S

Why trash the S&B?
Old February 4, 2009, 10:01 PM   #4
joneb

Quote:
Why trash the S&B?
Other than tight primer pockets it seems to be ok, I will use F-150 primers with S&B.
PMC's case wall thickness is greater than most, I would keep it to it's self.
Amerc is just plain trash.
There are variations between head stamps, I prefer to load batches with the same head stamp.
Old February 4, 2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Need to segregate headstamps?

Good god, No.

Just load and shoot.
Old February 4, 2009, 11:39 PM   #6
D. Manley

Quote:
Other than tight primer pockets it seems to be ok, I will use F-150 primers with S&B.
Its not so much that they're "tight" that causes the problem, it's more due to the primer pockets having very square shoulders minus any bevel. A swaging tool makes quick work of them but a few quick turns with a hand chamfering tool will do the job. Other than the primer pocket deal, good brass.

In 9MM, it's a good idea to run a magnet over them. Some are not brass at all but rather, brass coated steel which are visually identical to their "true" brass. I don't know whether this holds true for other calibers as I've only found the steel in their 9MM cases.

Quote:
PMC's case wall thickness is greater than most, I would keep it to it's self.
But the critical case web area is weaker than most. Lots of blown out cases using PMC...I relegate mine to the "bottom feeder" bucket.

Quote:
Amerc is just plain trash.
That's being too kind.

Quote:
There are variations between head stamps, I prefer to load batches with the same head stamp.
IMO, a good practice if for no other reason, sorting give you a 2nd chance to examine the cases.
Old February 5, 2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Why trash the S&B?
Personal preference. I haven't had very good luck getting very many reloads with 9mm S&B. The cases would split on me in fairly short order. My take on it is the brass gets brittle sooner than most lately.

PMC is just plain garbage. Like D. Manley stated, their web area isn't up to snuff.

AMERC is even worse.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting