The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2000, 09:28 AM   #1
TaxPhd

Am thinking about a new shotgun. Primary use s will be skeet (a lot of skeet), maybe some 5 stand and sporting clays, and some hunting (dove, quail, maybe pheasant).

I'm leaning toward the Browning Ultra XS Skeet, or the Browning 425.

I am not as familiar with Berettas. What do they have in this price range and how do they compare?

Any others I should consider?
Old October 23, 2000, 02:49 PM   #2
PJR

The Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon is in this range and is a comparable gun. For a few dollars more, you can get into the 682 series. Either Browning will certainly do the job. They are great guns and the differences between Beretta and Browning usually boil down to personal taste.

If you are considering a semi-auto, the Beretta Urika is the leader of the pack IMHO.

Other guns including the Ruger Red Label, SKB and Remington o/u but of the lot I think either Beretta and Browning are the better choices.
Old October 24, 2000, 10:21 AM   #3
Roadrunner

Good Morning TaxPhd,

Check out Beretta's 686 Silver Essential O/U 12 ga. I purchased mine from Trader Sports for $650. Not bad for a new Beretta O/U shotgun. You should still find these on the market. I believe Beretta has replaced the Silver Essential line with the Whitewing. A few weeks ago I saw an ad for a new Silver Essential for $734.

Pick up a copy of Shotgun News. I originally saw Traders ad there. You might be able to find a good deal from shops trying to sell their Silver Essentials or another manufacturer.

I shoot wobble trap, regular & international trap, skeet, 5-stand, and sporting clays with my Silver Essential. I've yet to take it into the field, but would love to go pheasant hunting. Hope you find this helpful.
Old October 24, 2000, 06:53 PM   #4
Dave R

Hmmmmm...the other day I shot some skeet using a Winchster 1300 defender...18" barrel and short stock...and had no trouble breaking those birds. Kind of a "guide gun shotgun". Size 8 shot. I would like to try it with even smaller shot, so those wide patterns would still be plenty dense. Do they make size 10 shot? #10 handloads from an 18" barrel...

Might not be legal and the club, but for shooting with friends...you won't miss many with that wide, dense pattern.
Old October 24, 2000, 11:33 PM   #5
jcoyoung

I've used my Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard for both skeet, sporting clays, and informal trap sessions. The Beretta 390/391s are supossed to be the lightest recoiling gas SGs out there. But it looks like you're leaning more toward an O/U.
Old October 25, 2000, 06:23 AM   #6
TaxPhd

Thanks for the replys!