The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 20, 2010, 04:29 PM   #26
Alan Duke

Did the same thing on my Model 94 this year. made it feel like a totaly different gut and felt WAY more confortable. I'm with ya on this one hogdogs.
Old January 20, 2010, 04:46 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I was swinging it and pointing raising and lowering it like a little kid with a brand spankin' new Red Ryder on Christmas morn'... Sorts felt irresponsible and immature for a moment but shrugged that off sayin' "Man this thing feels like a totally different and new rifle..." Me sho likey mo betta now!
Brent
Old January 22, 2010, 03:03 AM   #28
bamaranger

Rules for lever rifles

Here are the Commandments for lever rifles.

Thou shalt not put a 'scope on thy lever rifle.

One shall remove all white line spacers on thy lever rifle so as not to offend me.

A stainless lever rifle is an abomination to my will.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:24 AM   #29
shafter

Nothin worse in my opinion. You'd never catch me putting a scope on any lever action. We buy them for their looks, easy handling, and historical appeal. A scope ruins all of this.
Old January 23, 2010, 11:00 AM   #30
youp

My son has a 4x Nikon on his 94/30-30 and loves it. I recently received my great Uncle's 94/32 spec. Eyes really do not do the buckhorn justice. Do not think I will have it drilled and tapped, the top eject means offset scope mounts. I am not concerned about the 'value' loss should I scope it. Gun is mine until death or the blue hats do us part. (Could be the same, will cross that bridge when I get there)

Probably will find a Lyman or Marble Arms (NOT Marbles) tang sight. Or maybe a scout type mount. We will see...
Old January 24, 2010, 03:32 AM   #31
bamaranger

oh gosh

Geez youp, its yours and all, but don't drill a 94/32, please.

Tangs give you the longest sight radius, but a peep/aperature is not much worse. And I agree, buckhorn's are the pits, no matter how traditional. Is the 94 you own pre drilled/tapped, for an aperture/peep?

Rear notch and front bead sights are now starting to give me fits as well.
I've replaced most all my lever and auto carbines w/ peeps and either ashley front posts, or modified the beads, and still can shoot them acceptably, for a while longer anyhow. I've thought about a sourdough, but have not done it.

I modify the beads by taking a fine, small file and put a SLIGHT up slanted face
(say 30 degrees) on them. This seems to catch the light better, esp if there's any sun, and eliminates the wishy/washy undefined look of a rounded one. You may not wanna do that to a vintage 94, but it'd beat drilling it in my book.
Old January 24, 2010, 10:48 AM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I wear trifocals. Hassle factor when using irons. My cure came from IPSC days. (Daze?) I had the lens lab glue an extra small lens at the upper inside corner of my sighting-eye lens. The correction is that for arms length, instrument panels, etc. Perfect for iron sights. The sights are sharp, the target has a very slight blur.

But when you hunt in Ma Bell country, irons generally just ain't the best deal.
Old January 24, 2010, 10:42 PM   #33
youp

Bama,

Doan worry, be happy

I found fair priced Lyman No2 at MGW.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...ies/U345310810

It is on the third wave of improvements. Working on a couple of stocks first.
Old January 26, 2010, 07:09 AM   #34
Morgoroth

I know this is showing my ignorance, but what type of sights are "Tang" and "Buck horn"?

Also, do you still have to "Sight in" open sights like you do a scope?
I only have a shotgun with bead sights and a .22 with a scope, so I don't have a lot of experience with iron sights.

Which is something that I will be rectifying.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:44 AM   #35
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well, sights usually have a range of height adjustment. Most are in at least a dove tail groove and can be drifted left or right if needed.

The open sight is much more "shooter specific" as in the way you mount the gun and set your head to look down the rifle. Tang sights, in the case of lever actions, are a flip up peep sight with much more elevation adjustment that is mounted behind the hammer on the receiver tang...
Buck horns are the regular open sight with a curved view to the rear blade ie: buckhorn shaped...

Brent
Old January 26, 2010, 09:49 AM   #36
Morgoroth

Nice. Thanks, I had no idea what you guys were talking about.
Do tangs get knocked out of alignment more often that buck horns since the tangs have the movable parts?
Old January 26, 2010, 09:51 AM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't know, but there are a slew of guys that swear by the tang sights... I never got that far though
Brent
Old January 26, 2010, 10:27 AM   #38
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A sight mounted on the tang gives a much longer sight radius. Like the difference between a snubby revolver and one with a 6" barrel.

The peephole makes it easier for consistency in the sight picture. The human eye/brain readily can tell if something is centered in a circle.

As with a scope: The gun is not more accurate. It is easier to shoot accurately.
Old January 26, 2010, 10:51 AM   #39
Doodlebugger45

Anyone who wants peep sights for their lever action might want to check this site out.

http://skinnersights.com/index.html
Old January 26, 2010, 11:10 AM   #40
Morgoroth

How do you guys adjust for bullet drop with peep sights that don't have sliders?
It seems like going from shots at 25 yards to shots at 150 you would have to factor that in.
Old January 26, 2010, 11:26 AM   #41
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
As a rule you don't make elevation adjustments in the field with iron sights for hunting . There are calibrated target sights on the market that you do adjust on the range . I think people should learn to shoot with iron sights before they ever use a scope ! Just my opinion ! You aren't a driver till you can drive a stick , and you aren't a shooter till you master the irons .
Old January 26, 2010, 11:36 AM   #42
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I just need to know where i am shooting at about 85 yards with a .30-30... for closer or further it is just a matter of putting the "target image" lower or higher in my sight... For instance, if a deer is 125 yards out, I aim a few inches below the spine for a center of vitals impact, for 25 yards, I aim for a couple 2 or 3 inches above the sternum for a similar POI... Peeps... same thing... In the buck horn image above, it shows changing the pin position of the front sight. I don't personally do that.
Brent
Old January 27, 2010, 04:21 PM   #43
youp

doodles,

Look good for Marlin use. Winchesters do not have that solid top.

morgor,

The range you have specified is within point blank range of 30-30, 32 spec, and 35 Rem. I have no experience with the 44 Mag class and believe 150 yards too far for 357 mag.

Last edited by youp; January 27, 2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: additions
Old January 28, 2010, 07:53 AM   #44
Morgoroth

Quote-The range you have specified is within point blank range of 30-30
What exactly does that mean?

I always thought it just meant close, but it sounds like you are saying there will be no bullet drop.
Old January 29, 2010, 06:42 AM   #45
youp

Point blank range is the adjustment of sights to allow for the bullet to never be more than a set dstance above or below the line of sight.

It depends on several factors; the velocity, the ballistic coefficient of he bullet, and the distance the sight(s) are above the bore.

For exmple, sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards, then the poi is 3 inches high at maybe 130 or so and falls to 3 inches low at 200 or so. All depends on the round, bullet, and sights. The result is you do not make any adjustments to the sights or sight picture to hit a 6 inch target. Of course this is for deer and not a prairie dog.

Best to do the range thing again.

Last edited by youp; January 29, 2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: grammar
Old January 29, 2010, 07:17 AM   #46
Morgoroth

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.
I just found a good source in my area of cheap slugs so I am going to have to try that once I find a place where I can actually see more than 30yards to shoot.
Old January 29, 2010, 08:03 AM   #47
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Starting at 30 yards with old fashion rifled slugs. Get that figured out than stretch out the yardage.
Brent
Old January 30, 2010, 05:42 PM   #48
James R. Burke

If your looking for a decent rack you will see it way before you get the gun up anyways. The scope does come in handy at distance, dusk, thick brush etc.
Old January 31, 2010, 01:01 AM   #49
T. O'Heir

"...hate a levergun with a scope..." It's like scoping an SKS or M1 Carbine. Buggers up the balance.
Old January 31, 2010, 01:33 AM   #50
Lawyer Daggit

When I started hunting thirty years ago, I believed i would not be able to hit a thing without a scope- reading shooting mags had got me convinced you could not hit a thing without one.

I recently bought a 1963 manufactured 94- one of the last before Winchester wrecked the model. Removed the rear sight to fit a scout scope, then got guilty and could not bring myself to drill such a gun.

It now wears a peep sight and I am going to refit the metal rear sight.

The balance and handling of such a gun is amazing- and has lead to me removing the scope from my 9422 and installing a peep (with changed front sight) on it as well (I still have a scope on my 9417).

I have an MLR .308 (like a BLR) and will upgrade the irons on it to a peep sight and do away with the scope.

At normal hunting ranges- if your eyesight is good, I think iron sights are all you really need, and as people have commented, scoping some guns 'aint natural' destroying their natural sense of balance.