Little or No Legal but Extensive Tactical and FOF 24 21.82%
Little or No Legal, Extensive Tactical but Little/No FOF 12 10.91%
Training?.... uh.....huh, huh.... uh 25 22.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

How Much Training Do You Have?

I am curious as to the extent of training here on TFL.

When I say "legal" I mean ACTUAL training, as in you're a lawyer or have taken actual classes SPECIFICALLY aimed at the legal side if defense, not just that you've done a lot of reading.

I know, it would have been better with more options but it gets a little crazy... just pick the closest one.

May I suggest that, for the sake of simplicity, actual combat and/or other military experience be considered "extensive tactical and FOF"

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 25, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old August 25, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Dannyl

HI,

I answered 1.

Without going into much detail, during my service I was obviously trained (and later trained my soldiers) in various ways of fighting, including the use of handguns in various scenarios, once or twice I actually go to put this training to the test of reality.

In civilian life I am a qualified firearms instructor, and have taught courses from compulsory training course (a requirement here that one must complete before he can apply for a gun license), this includes teaching firearm handling, the laws related to ownership, handling and display (brandishing) or use of firearms. (this is not my occupation, but I did it a while back for additional income)
To qualify for this one has to pass exams, (written and oral) that include extensive knowledge and understanding of the laws, as well as have the necessary knowledge and skills regarding firearm handling etc.

Other than that, I practice and / or take part in shooting sports almost every weekend. with these including IDPA and pin-shooting, I am quote happy to combine a refreshment of tactical skills with honing the skill of fast and accurate shooting ( I think thatany person who has done some pin-shooting will agree here)

Cheers,
Danny
Old August 25, 2009, 03:38 PM   #3
ATW525

My vote is: "Training?.... uh.....huh, huh.... uh"

Not that I'm untrained mind you, but I'd hardly consider my training in safety, marksmanship and defensive use of a handgun to be "extensive tactical" training.
Old August 25, 2009, 03:58 PM   #4
THEZACHARIAS

I love my military training. Its extensive, its free, and it works! Throw in a little private sector gun-smithing, civilian legal, more military training (in order to work alongside the army) and some solid competition experience and BAM!! Somehow, I feel like I know what im doing
Old August 25, 2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Skans

Does piling in a jeep with some other guys doing a mock drive-by at a private range count as "extensive" training?
Old August 25, 2009, 05:45 PM   #6
BlackFeather

The most training I have is basic handgun use, a bit of knowledge from a former LEO, and very good all around combat skills from a few incidents... mostly running for cover...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 25, 2009, 06:03 PM   #7
javabum

Ive had training from a merge Sgt.out of San Jose with regards to pistols,revolvers and shotguns, during my time at a police academy(im not Leo,im dyslexic and didn't get through the report writing)plus the training i recieved from ccw class.

other than that i learn from others that are willing to teach.

NRA Life member
Old August 26, 2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Walter

I answered "little or no legal...extensive tactical and FoF". I had quite a
bit of OJT in SE Asia in the Marine Corps in 1969 and 1970, but there was
very little legal training, other than Wartime rules of engagement, which
don't really translate to concealed carry, or civilian life in-general.

I have taken the Texas concealed-carry licensing class three times, and
it is heavily loaded to all the legal aspects and ramifications of the use of,
or the need to use, lethal force. And since my instructor was an LEO,
there was a lot about the legal fallout AFTER the use of lethal force.
To me, that is maybe the most eye-opening part of the class.

Walter
Old August 26, 2009, 05:06 PM   #9
hoytinak

A little legal with my CHL and Commissioned Security Officer training and quite a bit of tactical and FOF (lots of military (including training others) and some civilian.
Old August 26, 2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Deaf Smith

Besides being a CHL instructor, 5th dan TKD (World Taekwondo Federation) with 30 years of it, Krav Maga practitioner, trained in about a dozen firearms classes (including FOF) from several very well known instructors, legal classes (Mas Ayoob), and other fun stuff like IDPA and IPSC (expert or above), well I've been a slacker most of my life at training.

Does everyone need that much? Doubt it.

Was it worth it? Yep!

Am I going to take more? Oh yea! Already paid the $$.

I'd say for a basic minimum please take LFI-1 and one good basic handgun course (take it before LFI-1.) And if you want some H2H skills (as in martial but not the 'art'), I highly recommend Krav Maga.

But I admit, I like to train. It's a form of vacation for me.

Last time they checked my BP it was 127/73 and heart rate of 47.

That's what TKD and Krav Maga will do for you!
Old August 26, 2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Snakum

Quote:
Does piling in a jeep with some other guys doing a mock drive-by at a private range count as "extensive" training?
It does in my book. In fact, I think I'm going to try that scenario this weekend. Sounds fun.

All my training has been US Army (Infantry), which I passed on to others for hire in my younger days, and with some civilian handgun, shotgun, carbine classes and some personal security/protection stuff. My only legal training is what I got while reading law books in prison.

(Just kidding about the law books. Sort of. )
Old August 26, 2009, 07:23 PM   #12
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Chapman Academy Advance Pistol... we did just that. Only we were shown how to get the hits!
Old August 26, 2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Robert Johnson

It's a way of life.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:53 PM   #14
raimius

Pretty decent tactical training (weapons handling and some buddy/squad work)

Some FOF stuff, but more as a hobby than specific courses.

No formal legal training, but probably a couple dozen hours of reading.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:58 PM   #15
VHinch

Military, LEO, and extensive civilian (mainly Thunder Ranch and Gunsite).
Old August 27, 2009, 08:13 AM   #16
Hallucinator

I carried a 1911 and a shotgun in Vietnam. I guess that qualifies me for a little tactical training, but I've never taken a course that was specific to CC issues and laws. I plan to do this in the near future. I got some really good advice from a lawyer yesterday. He is a well trained gun owner and exactly the person to talk to. There are a few laws and practical ways of addressing them that need to be inculcated in to our minds in order to protect ourselves both legally and physically. I'm looking for a CCW self defense course now.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:04 AM   #17
sakeneko

I answered the last one because I don't yet have anything that could be called "extensive". I've got my CCW and taken basic firearms safety, but that doesn't qualify as extensive legal or tactical training -- in my opinion, anyway. Fortunately I also learned to shoot as a kid, won a few marksmanship medals when I was a teenager (with a 22 rifle), and practice a *lot* now that I have my own handgun. We also have a relatively new Mossberg shotgun with a very new Knoxx stock on it that's for home defense, and I'll be working with that quite a bit too.

Classes are coming up -- as soon as we get out from under the insane overload at work. :-)
Old August 31, 2009, 09:19 PM   #18
lefteye

I'm not sure where my training (and experience) fits. In Vietnam I carried several American firearms while wearing civilian clothing performing my MI duties: Colt Detective Special .38, Colt 1911 .45 ACP, M-16, Winchester Model 97 12 ga. (about 20"). I had training (to some extent) in the use of all of these firearms, as well as other "weapons", e.g., dogs. We also had a few more "exotic" semiautomatic firearms from other sources for which we had no training, but most were excellent weapons.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:59 PM   #19
Doc TH

training

12 years in military, three years competitive shooting in military. No formal tactical training in civilian sector. Years of experience in emergency room in a "knife and gun club" area of a NE inner city, but that's limited to seeing the outcomes of gunfights.
Note that any "legal" training in tactical use of firearms is state-specific and may even be region-specific.
Old September 1, 2009, 03:10 PM   #20
Legionnaire

Legal with Mas Ayoob (and others); tactical with LFI, Insights, Storm Mountain; no extensive FOF, though, except one defensive folding knife class.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:59 PM   #21
Ian0351

Aside from perusing the laws relevant to my state and attaining a CWP, no legal training (short pamphlet, no class or test). Extensive tactical, FOF and simmunitions training courtesy of the USMC, including a trip to the 'ghan.

Semper Fidelis
Old September 1, 2009, 10:33 PM   #22
dev_null

So anything less than 'extensive tactical' gets lumped into 'nada?'

Not being confrontational, just trying to understand.

Not quite sure where to slot two NRA courses, a Defensive Handgun course, 10,000 rounds downrange on my own, and a couple of years of Shi to ryu Karate (sorry, only way I could get past the nanny filter) that did not include any disarming techniques.

Last edited by dev_null; September 2, 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old September 1, 2009, 10:38 PM   #23
scrub12b

no formal legal training, but plenty of training and practice courtesy of the army.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:54 PM   #24
deadcoyote

I'm in my fourth trimester of Emergency Target Intervention Tactics (E-TIT) with Gecko45.
Old September 2, 2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Stevie-Ray

Graduate of Handgun Ordered Tactics-Specified High Intensive Training.