The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2001, 11:12 AM   #1
Glamdring

I have a friend that wants to get a rifled barrel and scope for his older 870 [about 15 year old
gun] can you mount scopes on this type of SG without to much trouble? Is it just drill and
tap? Just wondering because IIRC the modern scoped Rem's from the factory use barrel
mounted base.
Old January 3, 2001, 11:14 AM   #2
old hawk

i use a weaver s3 mount on mine with a simmons deerfield 3x9 , no drill no tapping, just 2 screws replacing the trigger groups pins bolt right to the plate securing it.
more on my 870 page on that topic if you want.
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2997/870.html
Old January 3, 2001, 01:20 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's various saddle mounts out there that use the action pin holes for bolting a scope on. None of the ones I've tried holds zero for more than a half dozen shots or so. Others report differently, so maybe it's just me.

The cantilever bbl/mount will work, but it's kind of a pain to work with a eye relief scope of a longer focal point.

Also,drilling and tapping an 870 is not a great idea. The metal is thin enough that getting enough threads to grip well is a sometime thing.

Finally, due to the use environment, you should keep the magnification down low. I'd recommend something in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2X on the low side for a variable, nothing more than 3X in a fixed power scope. And get a quality scope, shotgun recoil EATS cheap scopes PDQ.
Old January 7, 2001, 08:13 AM   #4
Glamdring

So do gunsmiths drill and tap the receivers of 870's at all?
Old January 7, 2001, 09:04 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes. Some use a special mount that has the screws coming in at a slant, giving a little more metal to thread. Others solder on a steel bease so the screws are just secondary points of contact. And others just do a standard mount.
Old January 7, 2001, 12:43 PM   #6
Ledbetter

Saddle mounts

I use one that has held zero for fifty shots or so at least. I zero at fifty yards, maybe that's why. B square is the maker. It fits like Dave McC said. I have it mounted on a Mossberg and use a Trijicon Reflex sight (no, I didn't buy it for this, but it kicks ass for shooting slugs at targets within fifty yards).

Regards.