The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 7, 2014, 12:40 AM   #1
BuckRub

Accuracy after porting ?

Ok, I was thinking. You always hear that when you have a rifle and get a small nick on the crown of a barrel your accuracy is shot and you need to recrown it.
Well there's company's out there that port top only on handguns or on each side for you on you revolvers are autos. I know we're talking bout 10 to 50 yard shots with a pistol opposed to 100 to 500 yards with a rifle but accuracy is accuracy.
I have a glock model 22 I would like to help with muzzle flip but I wouldn't even think about it if before my bullet exited my barrel gasses were released only on one side first and then bullet only had about an inch and then exited.
What do you guys think ? Yes a ported barrel loses accuracy or only a few fps ?
Old June 7, 2014, 01:20 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Proper porting won't affect accuracy.

....But, low quality porting will completely ruin a barrel. (On a rifle, you can cut it down. On a pistol... you're pretty much screwed.)
Old June 7, 2014, 07:16 AM   #3
g.willikers

It's hard to keep up with all the Glock model numbers, but isn't the 22 a standard sized 40 caliber?
If so, with good technique it shouldn't have enough muzzle rise to need barrel porting, should it?
Also have to ask - have you ever shot a ported barrel pistol?
They are a blast and not in a good way.
Old June 7, 2014, 05:46 PM   #4
BuckRub

Yep I have shot alot of ported. Rifles and pistols. And yes it is a full size 40 cal and really not too much flip. I just remember back about 10 years ago a friend had a 357 revolver ported and it was the only pistol that actually came straight back. All others helped but his was awesome and yea I know what you mean about a blast. Shoot one without ear protection and you'll probably be scarred for life.
Old June 7, 2014, 08:06 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

The crown "nick" & porting are not in the slightest related to each other in their effects on accuracy or bullet exit.

The crown nick causes uneven gas pressure against the bullet base ON EXIT, which can cause it to wobble slightly on leaving the bore.

The porting all happens BEFORE the bullet leaves the bore, & at the point in time of bullet exit gas pressure is equally spread out against the bullet base.
Denis
Old June 7, 2014, 08:18 PM   #6
pelo801

You may already know this, but glock does make a 22C. Factory ported barrel and slide. I don't believe they still do but you may be able to find one used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (117.3 KB, 31 views)
Old June 7, 2014, 09:53 PM   #7
BuckRub

I knew Glock Did but I'm partial to my Gen 4.
I know how a nick causes uneven pressure on exit and causes wobble and it only gets worse and I know porting is before exit but after porting then bullet only travels about 3/4 " before exiting and was wandering if it caused any inaccuracy.
I called ZebsGlock and asked and was told " the porting keeps the muzzle down. I said I know was was wandering if it causes Any inaccuracy ? He said, well you lose about 20% fps. I said I know that too but I'm asking about accuracy. He said well it shouldn't. Lol
Old June 8, 2014, 12:46 AM   #8
Slopemeno

Our porting process was four milled ports right through a match barrel- which worked great and- as near as we could tell- didn't hurt accuracy. Sure kept the muzzle down as well.

20% loss?- not even 5%. Our ported 6" shot the same ammo faster than a stock 5".
Old June 8, 2014, 12:54 AM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

No effect on accuracy.
Again- gas pressure is applied equally on the bullet base through a ported barrel.

Denis
Old June 8, 2014, 02:56 AM   #10
JD0x0

What's the advantage of porting a barrel over threading it for a compensator/brake? Does the weight effect accuracy/function on non-fixed barrel pistols?
Old June 8, 2014, 05:33 AM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

The porting means no increase in length and no significant change in weight.

Adding a muzzle brake or other muzzle device on a recoil-operated, locked breech semi-auto pistol can affect function if it changes the weight of the slide/barrel combination significantly. A well-designed and properly installed muzzle brake/compensator shouldn't affect accuracy but it might change the point of impact requiring that the sights be adjusted.
Old June 8, 2014, 06:31 AM   #12
trigger643

My 24's muzzle flip is pretty tame compared to the non-ported .40s I've owned / fired. Dead-nuts accurate, too.

Old June 8, 2014, 09:39 PM   #13
rock185

Buck, properly done, as Mag-na-port or Glock do it for instance, there is no loss in accuracy. There might be a slight reduction in velocity, but Nothing like 20%. I have fired Mag-na-ported guns and one or two Glock "C" models. The ported Glock and Mag-na-ported guns both definitely displayed reduced muzzle rise,i.e. recoiled more straight back, etc. Recoil was not reduced IMHO. This was actually unpleasnt to me with a .41 magnum revolver, as opposed to my unported gun. Same with a 12 ga. shotgun that was Pro-Ported, more of a straight back recoil, which was to me, unpleasant. So both systems do what they are supposed to in keeping the muzzle down when firing, but do not, within my limited experience with them anyway, reduce recoil. I have read of attempts at machining or drilling ports in a perfectly good handgun barrel that totally destroyed accuracy. This, because, even with the sharpest end mill or drill, it is difficult to avoid at least a tiny displacement of metal of the bore surface. This does not do good things for the integrity of the bullet traveling down the bore, and subsequent accuracy,or lack of same....ymmv

Last edited by rock185; June 8, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old June 8, 2014, 10:22 PM   #14
Slopemeno

Our porting process came from the earliest days of Pin-Guns. Ours were originally built with an un-ported Clark pin gun weight.

Then-we had them Magnaported, but it was obvious that the ports were too small, so we mill-ported an existing, Magnaported pin-gun weight with a v-4 of 3/16" oval ports. That worked better (I've shot both old and new, and I think the additional area of the front of the ports was the reason) and it didn't effect the accuracy.

Eventually, the market moved on to much lighter, expansion chambered .38 Supers, and our heavy, blued, single stack .45 Quadraports became a bit of a dinosaur- but they were still very fast on plate racks and any stage that involved sweeps.

Yes, there is a small riser at the leading and trailing edge of the thru-barrel port- we carefully cleaned that up with a small pillar file.
Old June 9, 2014, 06:09 PM   #15
Nanuk

Lone wolf will port barrels and slides to match. I have a Glock 31C (357 Sig) and have a ported 40 BBL from Lone Wolf. I can ring the Gong all day @ 100 yards with either barrel. Velocity loss? I seriously doubt it, its just a port in the barrel for some of the gas to escape. I have seen no negatives associated with ported barrels, but I know better than to look in the hole when firing the gun.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.