The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2016, 01:50 PM   #26
gglass

I tend to think that this is just a trigger control issue that is brought on by a greater degree of familiarity with other trigger types.

The 14-yard target below was done with my PPQ 5" model right after doing some custom work to it. The work done did not make it more or less accurate, but done to fit me as a shooter. the pick below also coincides with the kind of groups that I usually produce with a number of my full size pistols, which includes 1911's, M&P's, XDm's and so on.

The target that shipped with my PPQ shows exactly the kind of accuracy that my PPQ has delivered. (Even before the mods)

Work on the trigger mechanics of the PPQ's style of trigger and you will bring those groups down to a proper size. I have yet to see a mechanically inaccurate PPQ. Post a pic of the target that shipped with your PPQ. That should tell you what the gun is capable of doing.

Last edited by gglass; February 15, 2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old February 20, 2016, 07:46 PM   #27
P71pilot

Update

I fired about 100rds today through the PPQ, first time shooting it with Talon grip installed. I shot from 5 yds and 10 yds at the indoor range, with a variety of paper targets. I first shot 40 rds of fiochi 180gr JHP, then about 60rds of Winchester 165gr fmj target rounds

Things I noticed

The fiocchi 180gr loads had noticeably more recoil, but I think I had better accuracy, especially at 5 yds. At five yards shooting 5 shot groups, I had several rounds in the 5shot groups (2-4rds) all in one hole, but I usually would have a flyer or two about 2 or 3 inches from the cloverleaf groups. When I finished off my 180gr loads and switched to the Winchester 165gr, they had noticeably less recoil (going about the same speed but weighed much less) but I think I had less accuracym. My groups where larger.

The gun is extremely accurate and I shoot it decent to very well, but I think I may have a slight flinch due to recoil and also need to work on trigger control and follow through.

So far i love it and can't wait to get my CHL in the mail. I will practice as much as I can. I have been shooting about once a week since I have owned it
Old February 20, 2016, 10:32 PM   #28
scoobysnacker

Quote:
I shot about 100rds through the PPQ yesterday, did not bring along the 1911 to the indoor range this time. I have been shooting a mixture of targets, from silloutes with a bullseye in the center chest to roughly 3-4" bullseyes paper targets.
I am not a pro shooter, just a guy who likes to collect a few guns, so take this with a grain of salt.

But I've found out that when I am learning to shoot a new-to-me pistol, aiming small at fairly close range really kick-starts the process. Re the silhouettes, leave them alone for now. Get something with a lot of small, fist-sized targets, and set it up around 7 yds, and put 5 rds in each small target. Once you can get a consistent group you like, move the target back a couple of yards, not big increments. What's the saying, aim small, miss small? It takes a little time, but the satisfaction from improvement is rewarding.
Old February 27, 2016, 03:18 PM   #29
P71pilot

Here are some of my most recent groups, as you can see, at about 5 yards I can get 2-4rds in the same hole but get a a flyer. I measured each group and marked the range at which they were fired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160227_151213.jpg (58.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160227_151456.jpg (168.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160227_151402.jpg (207.1 KB, 15 views)
Old February 29, 2016, 04:29 PM   #30
SpareMag

P71,

Before agonizing too much, see if you can get a bench rest, something like a Ransom Rest, or sandbags so you can lock the gun down and get an idea of what it is optimally capable of. Then shoot as you normally do, and this gives you some metrics to work with.

Start at 5 yards, get a feel for the gun's point of aim and point of impact. Master that range then move out.

Have fun!!! Don't stress about not getting desired results first time out!
Old March 1, 2016, 07:29 PM   #31
rodfac

Quote:
I fired about 100rds today through the PPQ
I'd suggest some dry firing, concentrating on sight picture, and trigger control. Both can be combined in a dry fire drill in which you balance a dime on the front sight, or slide if the sight is rounded, then practice your trigger control without dumping the dime.

Also a session with someone else loading the pistol for you; either leaving the chamber empty or loading a live round. This will tell you pretty quickly whether your anticipating the shot and flinching. Just dumping a hundred rounds during every range session does nothing to improve your shooting. Ya gotta walk before you can run. Forget about speed and concentrate on the fundamentals. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Tags
grip , inaccuracy , ppq , size