The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Wyn

Px4 Storm

I am thinking of buying a Beretta Px4 Storm sub-compact. In a review I read it said that the last few cartidges were hard to load into the magazine. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and whether or not it has been fixed? Just wondering. Thanks for your replies.
Old September 9, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

in most new magazines, the last few cartridges are difficult to load. The spring is new and you are compressing it all the way down. After a few trips to the range it should loosen up, just like all the rest.
Old September 9, 2009, 01:05 PM   #3
ChicagoTex

+1 on what Uncle Malice said, also you can accelerate initial break-in a bit by fully loading the mags and just letting them sit for a couple days to a week (this has greatly helped the function of every new double-stack magazine I've ever owned, it makes less of a difference on single stack mags though).
Old September 9, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
.357SIG

I have a PX4 9mm and the last few rounds are a little tough to load. It gets better by use of the spring, but not really by letting them sit loaded. I have a mag that sits loaded with 17 rounds since the day I bought it, and it is still stiff to load.
Old September 9, 2009, 02:01 PM   #5
berettaprofessor

Yes, new springs on the PX4 are pretty stiff and loading more than one mag at a time will give you a sore thumb on rounds 14-17. But it's all good if you get an HKS Magazine Speedloader #941.
Old September 9, 2009, 03:18 PM   #6
greyson97

I have both the full sized and sub compact PX4. I always use a mag loader (that plastic sleeve thingy), and i dont have any problems. personally, loading a mag is low on my list of concerns. usually its accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, etc. Beretta is usually good about including a loader.

Im not a good shot so i cant really testify to the guns accuracy, esp since its a 3" barrel. I have shot bullseyes with it though.

my big issue is that its THICK. its the same thickness as a full sized PX4. the barrel and hand grip are just shortened.

but one of their mags they send come with a pinky extender, which is pretty cool.

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old September 9, 2009, 03:24 PM   #7
rsxr22

It is very similar to loading up a new glock mag to full cap.

I had a Sub-C as well and i didnt care for it much at all. Like the poster before me mentioned it is just way to thick.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:57 PM   #8
(BH)

If you like the gun, please don't let a mag spring stop you from getting it.

It will loosen, i assure you.

My PX4fs was pretty stiff at first but loosened up after a couple of range trips.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson