The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 2008, 09:58 PM   #1
mthom1957

Refinishing Stock Question?

I am refinishing the stock on an old CVA kit gun and after reshaping the stock to fit the buttplate and sanding the entire stock to remove the finish I find that there are shaded areas of the stock where the original stain is still showing through. I don't dare sand these areas anymore as I'm afraid of removing too much wood. Is there anything I can do to either remove this stain or try to somehow blend the new finish in so thst it looks somewhat even all over?
Old November 23, 2008, 09:11 AM   #2
mega twin

you might try a mild bleach solution on the darker spots. Another thing is that if you refinish it the way it is,it might have a really unique look about it .
Old November 23, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Pahoo

mega twin + 1

You can get stock bleach from Brownells. After that process, do a very light sanding then wipe off with mineral spirits and see what it looks like. You can repeat the process as you wish and then after that, you should stain the entire stock. These CVA's seem to like the redder darker stains but you can go with a light cherry or anique oak. Try different stains until you get one that pleases you. I once redid a stock that was stained dark and to this day, don't know what in the world the guy used. I was forced to restain and keep it dark. In the end, after the final finish, you could not see the blotches. Congratulations on the fitting as I think this is the hardest and most important part of the process.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 23, 2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Ruger4570

Most stains people see on the shelf is an oil/solvent based stain. There is also a Dye type stain, mostly commercial applications, that will really go deep and change the woods appearance fairly permanently.
Old November 23, 2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Scorch

Try stripping the stock with CitriStrip. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, you name it. If there is finish on the stock, it will remove it.
Old November 23, 2008, 08:55 PM   #6
mthom1957

Stock Refinishing Question?

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions on the stock problem now heres another problem that I created to help me with. I am also installing a set of Williams fiber optic sights on this gun, the rear sight was no problem but the front sight was another story. The package said there would be fitting required on the front sight so in the process of filing and fitting I managed to get the fit too loose and since I can't unfile the metal back I'm left with adding some sort of adhesive to hold the sight tight or a little JB Weld set and filed in the dovetail to take up the slack and hope it snugs up. The gun is an old cheapy so it's not a catastrophy but I want to do the best job I can on it. Any input on this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mthom
Old November 23, 2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Hammer the dovetail closed a little.
Old November 23, 2008, 10:05 PM   #8
mthom1957

I've already reblued the barrel, won't this screw up the finish a bit
Old November 23, 2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Ruger4570

You can also try to use a pointed punch to raise the metal in the bottom of the dovetail, Insert the sight and with a flat point punch sort of stake the sight in place by bending the very edge of the dovetail into the sight.
Old November 23, 2008, 11:08 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Pad it with leather, and use a very small hammer.
Old November 24, 2008, 12:54 AM   #11
Inspector3711

+1 on the citrus strip.... That Scorch guy knows his stuff. I've used it too. You can re-apply it and control how much the stain is reduced after the initial stripping is done. It's way less toxic than traditional products but works like a champ.
Old November 24, 2008, 02:12 AM   #12
Ruger4570

Inspector: If a dye stain was used, no amount of stripper is going to make a difference. Most wood bleaches won't work either. Dye stains are made to be more than permanent, as in forever.
Old November 24, 2008, 05:31 PM   #13
Pahoo

Quote:
Bill DeShivs: Hammer the dovetail closed a little.
Yes !! Use a brass head small mallet and try to striker square. Do what Ruger4570 suggested first and then this step as a last resort.

Quote:
Ruger4570: You can also try to use a pointed punch to raise the metal in the bottom of the dovetail, Insert the sight and with a flat point punch sort of stake the sight in place by bending the very edge of the dovetail into the sight.
Yes!! Center punch to be exact and more than one, say about six to eight across the entire bottom face, depending on how loose you are. Go deep if you have to in order to raise some metal. This is an old trick and it works. Center it and if you think you are going to be good, LockTite it in place. or you can cut and slip in some brass shim stock.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 24, 2008, 07:49 PM   #14
mthom1957

Stock Refinishing Question?

Thanks again guys for all of the advice one of these should work.