The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2000, 01:56 AM   #1
RHarris

Would anyone have any suggestions for reloading in apartments? Every press I have checked out has to be bolted to a bench. Are there any alternatives?
Old October 4, 2000, 08:07 AM   #2
Eric of IN

Midway has a portable reloading bench for $50 that might work. I don't know anyone that has one, so I don't know how sturdy they are though.
Eric
Old October 4, 2000, 08:45 AM   #3
Bullwinkle

I havent tried it myself but I have heard that others in your prediciment have used one of the black and decker folding benche/vices (I think they call them the workmate) with reasonable success. I do have one of the B&D benches and have found it to be very useful, not at all gimicky like it looks on TV, but I've never needed to mount my press on it.

------------------
Bullwinkle

Sonny, anybody with his gears meshed wants to be free, doesnt matter what sex or age, and freedom always calls for a little hardware."
Lucy Kropotkin
Old October 4, 2000, 10:32 AM   #4
Mikul

I highly recommend a bolted bench. You will need a very sturdy surface to work on. You could improvise a small one in an apartment.

You could get by with a 2x4 about 16x18". Put two hinges on one 16" side and screw it into the wall studs. A removable leg could be made with threaded pipe and something to thread it onto. Screw this into the 2x4. This will give you a fold-away bench to work from (just unscrew the leg and the bench lays against the wall). I would then mount the press on another 2x4 of the same dimensions and then bolt it on to the first piece (unbolting it each time to put it away), or using clamps for somewhat easier removal, but a more clumsy work area.

Perhaps you could bolt it to a small piece of wood and then place sandbags, bricks, or small children on the board to hold it down on a table or similar surface.

You could also use long, adjustable nylon straps attached to the 2x4 to strap it onto a kitchen table to similar surface (one horiztontally and one vertically).
Old October 4, 2000, 11:38 AM   #5
posigian

I am in the same boat. However, I am lucky enough to have a 5'x5' walk in storage room right in my apartment. But it full of shelves and tool boxes.

After a little homework here on TFL and a little clean up of the storage closet, I went out and bought the Workmate. I have yet to mount my press becasue its hunting season right now. But as soon as the freezer is full, I will get started.

I did my homework, and given my cramped quarters I think the workmate will do the job. Once I can afford a real house with a work shop or garage I will still have the work mate to help me with my "honeydo" list

------------------
Posigian
[email protected]
I AM THE NRA
Old October 4, 2000, 11:55 AM   #6
Imbroglio

The setup I have been using for years is a sawhorse. Believe it or not, mounted on it I have a MEC 600, an Ammomaster progressive and an Ammomaster single. The progressive is bolted to the middle of the arm. I c-clamped 2 3/4" thick boards on each side for table tops and to mount the MEC and single stage.

Old October 4, 2000, 01:16 PM   #7
Poodleshooter

Is your apartment too small for a bench? I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife. I used the other bedroom to set up a bench made of 6' long 2x6's for my work/reloading bench. Put a peg board up behind it to hold tools and act as a "space saver", a few #3 or #5 parts bins mounted on vertical surfaces, and you can justify it's existence fairly easily!
Old October 4, 2000, 01:16 PM   #8
freedomlover

You might want to check out a Lee Hand Press. I'm in the same predicament you're in, and this was the only acceptable option for me. With a hand press you can reload anywhere--and they only cost $27 from Midway. They take standard dies and you can reload just about any caliber with them. Mine works great.

freedomlover

------------------
Sic semper tyrannis

Old October 4, 2000, 02:47 PM   #9
Bogie

The office supply companies sell a 2'x4' folding table that works pretty well. Just bolt the 2x6 that holds my Redding to mine. C-clamps can also be your friend.

I've also been thinking of building a reloading box like some of the benchrest boys use - They'll hold an RCBS partner press, etc., already set up to go.
Old October 4, 2000, 04:24 PM   #10
Contender

Your very first step is to tell absolutely no one that you are reloading ammo in your apartment. Especially if it's a multiple unit complex.

[This message has been edited by Contender (edited October 04, 2000).]
Old October 4, 2000, 05:29 PM   #11
Monkeyleg

Back when I lived in an apartment, I mounted the press to a 2x4. That 2x4 sat on top of the kitchen table and would fasten with wing nuts to another 2x4 that was under the table and which had two 2x4 legs. A "sandwich" arrangement. The kitchen table made it steady and the two legs kept the table from rocking when working the press. And there was room on the table to spread out all the components.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old October 4, 2000, 10:07 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My portable rig has a 1/4" steel base plate, with a 2-1/2" threaded fitting welded near a corner. A piece of 2-1/2" about three feet long (or whatever length suits you) connects the base to a similar plate on top (the threaded fitting is welded more near the center). The upper plate is about 8" by 12".

I can mount a Dillon on one end, and an RCBS "O" press on the other. I also bolt a powder measure to it.

If you're full-length resizing rifle cases, one foot on the base plate is plenty of "heft".

Paint it against rust; glue a piece of linoleum-like material on the bottom to prevent scratching a hardwood floor...

As usual, Art
Old October 5, 2000, 02:47 PM   #13
El Rojo

I just use an old desk that my dad found somewhere and bolted the Dillon to it. It works really well, I put stuff in the drawers and in little storage bins I put on the desk. I wish I had a better picture of the desk to show you, but you can see what I have set up in the background.

El Rojo's Reloading Bench
Old October 5, 2000, 02:55 PM   #14
Dimitri

Head to the local builder's supply (lumber yard) and find a 2 foot length of 2 X 12 (2 X 6 will work.) Bolt your press to the plank, along with the ammo measure and whatever else you have. Then clamp the plank to a table with decent sized C-Clamps. The unit stores when not in use and sets up quickly. It's stable and reliable, not Mickey Mouse. You can mount equipment on a couple planks and use the one you need without setting up the whole operation. Also works out in the field off the tailgate of a pickup truck. (Pad the clamp and don't put a dent in the tailgate!)
Old October 6, 2000, 09:15 AM   #15
MADISON

Appartment Re-Loading:
1. DON'T let the landloard know you are doing it because they will tell you to STOP or give you a moving notice. They will tell you it is a fire hazard.
2. A portable press stand would work excellent.
3. A Lee Terret or a single stage press would work well. If you can find whaat you are find what you are looking for, in a KIT, get it.