The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
azsixshooter

Starting Load For 1851 Navy .44 Replica?

The subject of the thread sums it up, my uncle bought an Italian replica of an 1851 Colt Navy and he isn't sure how much powder to use to get started shooting it. I know he bought some powder and was told at least a couple of recipes but he asked me if I'd dig around a bit and try to get some more info. I'm sure he can buy some more powder if needed to try different suggested loads.

He is hoping to use it for deer hunting this season if he can find a good, accurate hunting load. I was wondering if anyone can offer any favorite recipes, tips for loading these kinds of pistols or thoughts about deer hunting with them.

I haven't ever fired a blackpowder anything so I'm pretty well in the dark, but I'd like to try and help him. I'm planning to do some more research on this, just thought I'd ask for some help here tonight since these forums are always so helpful to me. I do reload for centerfire rifles, but I don't know much about the ins and outs of blackpowder.

Thanks for any information/experience!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old November 8, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Joe the Redneck

Normallu you buy a powder dispencer that has a little spring loaded tube on the end. Like a metal "power horn" if you will. Too much too explain, but it is a volume thing, not a weight thing.

Get a book on bp. Totally new ball game. Very easy to mess up and create a dangerous situation. Check out "Dixie Gun Works."

I know it has been done. but I would not hunt deer with that weapon. The bullet is light, soft lead, and smushes easily. Not enough speed for my taste.

Yes, it can be done. You can kill a rhino with a .22. I just think it is underpowdered unless you can measure the distance in feetm not yards.

Just one guy's opinion. Get some books and enjoy a great hobby.
Old November 8, 2011, 11:25 PM   #3
arcticap

Here's a PDF of the Traditions owner's manual for Pietta revolvers which recommends loads of 22 grains to 30 grains of fffg pistol powder by volume.
However somewhere between 35 grains to 40 grains by volume is closer to a more realistic maximum powder charge when loading round balls in a steel frame revolver which is close to its full chamber capacity.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/cm...ver_manual.pdf

Here's a list of the case capacity for some common cartridge brass that can be used to measure muzzle loading powders by volume:

Cartridge Grains
.22 LR = 5
.320 ACP = 7
.380 ACP = 10
.30 cal Carbine = 20
.38 Special = 23
.357 Mag = 27
.45 Auto = 26
.44 Colt = 35
.45 Colt = 41
.38-40 = 40
.30-30 = 42
.30-06 = 70
.45-70 = 83

9mm = 13.3
.40 S&W = 19.3

Last edited by arcticap; November 11, 2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old November 9, 2011, 12:12 AM   #4
azsixshooter

Thanks so much for the quick replies and solid info!

@Joe, I'm not against telling my uncle it's a bad idea to hunt deer with that pistol. He thinks it would be neat to take a deer with one, but he is an ethical man and won't cause any animal undue suffering. That said, if I tell him something like "only 10 yards or less from what I've heard" he might just sit there all day with that pistol and woe be the buck that wanders within 10 yards of him! Afterall, he's passed on more deer in his life than I've probably ever seen in mine.

@Articap, great post and resources...thanks a million!

Any other responses are welcome and will be valued.

Thanks!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
Old November 9, 2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Newton24b

well it meets the caliber requirement for a handgun, minimum .357 inches in diameter.

black powder revolvers are legal

however if one is intent on using it for a deer two things have to be understood.

-primitive sights means you need to keep the target distance short. guessing is not exactly good to do. as you dont have much time you have to do alot of practicing. and when you figure that range out for consistent accuracy, youll have to put out some pain markers at your hunting blind so you always know.

-penetration becomes king with handguns. its why so many fellas and gals use hardcast lead semi wadcutters to get through and through.
a conical will be best best as theyve been proven to go deeper.
Old November 9, 2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Hawg

One thing I didn't see anybody touch on is if that's a brass frame 20 grains is about as high as you want to go.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:53 PM   #7
azsixshooter

I showed my uncle these posts the other day, he said to thank everyone for the info.

Have a great weekend!

Tags
.44 blackpowder , 1851 navy