The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 29, 2011, 03:59 AM   #1
JMI

A Load Without a Ball?

Is there any harm done by firing low power loads (15 grains or so) without a ball in my new Pietta Model 1858 New Army? I just want to make some noise and smoke without having to worry about projectiles (other than the wad). Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks

Jim
Old October 29, 2011, 04:32 AM   #2
zullo74

Just point it in a safe direction and have fun making smoke!
Old October 29, 2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

No harm, just dirty.
Old October 29, 2011, 08:15 AM   #4
B.L.E.

Re-enactors load powder only all the time with no ill effects. I think they are required to use cornmeal plugs instead of wads for safety. A cornmeal plug disintegrates into dust.

Even with no wad, a blank load can injure at close range. One of my favorite methods for killing wasp nests is to shoot them with a 12 gauge at point blank range using 80 grains of FFFg. It doesn't just kill the wasps, the nest just completely disappears.
Old October 29, 2011, 11:03 AM   #5
noelf2

There's no harm. More powder gives more fire though (fun at night). You still have to compress the powder with a wad of some kind, or you'll get no boom.
Old October 29, 2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I take toilet paper, fold it and roll it into a bullet sized plug. It disintegrates right after leaving the barrel, we have used this as a prop gun in plays and the flash/smoke and bang are impressive from a stage inside a theater.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 29, 2011, 06:09 PM   #7
robhof

robhof

I've killed mice at close range; 4' to 6' with 15gr and corn meal. Great for shed use, when you don't want to add ventillation to the walls.
Old October 29, 2011, 06:35 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

No harm at all. That's how reenactors do it.
Old October 31, 2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Noz

Use cornstarch compressed with the on board rammer over powder. Fill the chamber full and compress. Turns to dust instantly.
Old November 1, 2011, 09:50 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

As stated - no harm but you will have "foul" . . . ooops . . i meant fouling. Just a note though on the use of something to coverr the powder. Cornmeal "plugs" will turn to dust - if you use a felt wad, just remember that at close range, that wad is a "projectile". When I was active in reenacting years ago, they were banned and I believe they still are. The same way as ramrods were to remain in camp and not be on the field - if some "ninny" were to leave it in his barrel and shoot - that too would be a "projectile". It's just common sense. Have fun and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 2, 2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Superdave70_02

That kinda makes me wander how many people were shot with a ramrod during a quick reload during the civil war.
Old November 2, 2011, 03:09 PM   #12
oilcan72

Superdave

I reenacted Civil War for many years, at one event they had a live shoot, the group I was with were firing at a plank we were supposed to cut in half. The guy next to me kept saying "where is my ramrod?" Sure enough after the session was over we found his ramrod down range and twisted uo like a bow tie. I remember we had a good laugh at that one.

oilcan72
Old November 2, 2011, 09:17 PM   #13
SIGSHR

At the Civil War reenactment at Monmouth Battlefield in 1991 a Union drummer boy had his drum pierced by a tompion. When I did CW reenacting those who carried a revolver usually sealed the chambers with wax, something solid enough to stay in place but that would quickly dissipate when they fired.
Old November 8, 2011, 04:56 PM   #14
ClemBert

I do it for Forth of July. Except I like more smoke-n-boom so I crank it up to 20 or 30 grains. I've used aluminum foil before but be aware that is a dangerous projectile at short distance. Best to use one of the other fillers that others have pointed out. Just make sure you seal the cylinders with something so you don't get a chain fire flashover.