The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 10, 2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

My Grandpa's M1 Carbine

My grandpa owns an M1 Carbine and what I think to be a later production model due to the Bayonet lug and graduated sights. Here are some pictures. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me figure out the manufacturer and possibly a good price, as I intend tk buy it from him. There are some letters (which I presume to be words) underneath the rear sight the first letter that is visible is "U" and the last letter that I can see is "D". The U is the first letter and the D the last letter in the word, however I cannot see the entire word due to the rear sight blocking it. The only other things I can see on the rifle are "W" and the serial number. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you and sorry for rambling!

William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; July 10, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old July 10, 2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Underwood was a carbine contractor, sounds like Grandpa's.

W is probably a Winchester part, whatever it is on. There was a lot of subcontracting and swapping around of parts, not to mention overhauls with whatever was available.
Old July 10, 2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Mosin-Marauder

I heard there was a lot of that going on back then. I didn't see any import marks or anything so I assume it's a bring-back. Is there any way to define when It was made?
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; July 10, 2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old July 10, 2014, 08:42 PM   #4
amd6547

Made between July 1943 and March '44.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:07 PM   #5
Cossack

Keep in mind that the late configuration, including sights, M2 stocks, and barrel band/bayonet lugs, doesn't mean that the carbine itself, as in the barrel and receiver, were built at a certain date. Carbines would be refurbished and outfitted with the latest parts, as Jim Watson pointed out.

I'd say this rifle would bring over $750. I've seen Blue Sky imported rifles (bought back from Korea) sell for between $650 and $750 this year, and your would be worth more, having no import mark. I don't think it would sell for more than $850...but I've seen carbines go crazy lately. Based on the last Gunshow here in Great Falls, I'd say $750-$800 would be fair, but $850 wouldn't be out of line.

It looks like a great gun! I love the carbine.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Mosin-Marauder

I've wanted to have it ever since I was a kid (listen at me talk like I'm an adult ). His rifle was really where I started becoming interested in Military history and later Military Surplus Rifles .
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 10, 2014, 11:29 PM   #7
9uc

Some what fond of the M1s myself. Carried one for a short while in early '69 when the AF M-16s were in short supply. Now own a '43 Inland that I have been correcting back to original as much as possible.
Then said He unto them.... he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
RetiredUSAF,
Life Mrb NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW
Old July 11, 2014, 07:49 AM   #8
highpower3006

Your Grandfathers carbine was made by Underwood early in 1944, probably in January or February. The barrel date would most likely be 11- 43 to 1-44 range. Sometime after the war, it was upgraded with the bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight.

The 'W' on the rear of the receiver indicates that the receiver was made by the Universal Winding Company in Cranston, RI, one of Universal's subcontractors.

Underwood made a total of 545617 carbines during the war. I believe that makes them the third largest producer behind Inland and Winchester.
Old July 11, 2014, 08:01 AM   #9
Captains1911

You might also want to ask over at the CMP forums, that's the best place for information regarding anything M1 Garand or Carbine.
Old July 12, 2014, 09:10 AM   #10
smee78

They are fun to shoot with no kick at all, my wife and I both have one and they are so fun. Surplus ammo is not out there like it use to be but can still be found, you may want to look into reloading to help keep the cost down. You can go through alot of ammo quick once the fun starts.
Old July 12, 2014, 02:47 PM   #11
saitek

carbine

tell you what mosin marauder definitely it's a keeper 700.00 to 800.00 aintv out of the ball park just keep it in the family it's a proud piece of family heritage to not loose .
Old July 12, 2014, 03:10 PM   #12
Mosin-Marauder

Oh, I should have mentioned. My grandpa (at least not this one) did not serve. He bought this rifle at a Rose's for $45 if I remember correctly. Nevertheless it still holds a lot of sentimental value.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 12, 2014, 03:33 PM   #13
Sevens

If your Grandpa is not destitute and you can absolutely agree with the idea that you'll keep it forever (keeping in mind that it's not simply a rifle, it's part of your family) then I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to pay him the "collectible" price that has been attached to M1 Carbine rifles in just the last 5+ years.

If Grandpa lives comfortably and doesn't eat at soup kitchens, give him $350 for that rifle with the absolute promise that as long as you are vertical, it stays in your family.
Old July 12, 2014, 03:47 PM   #14
Mosin-Marauder

My grandma's grandpa's Remington 514 that she gave me a while back, she made me promise to never sell it and I plan to keep that promise. I plan to do the same if I get the M1.

My Grandpa is actually pretty well off, he owns his own business and everything. I've already got $200 saved up almost. I'll ask him about it eventually. I just don't really want to rush it, if you know what I mean. Anyeah, thanks for all your guys help. I'll be sure to tell everyone when I get it .
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 12, 2014, 03:49 PM   #15
RickB

That Carbine could use a good cleaning, no matter who owns it!
Loosen the screw on the barrel band (don't try to revove it, just loosen it enough that the band will slide forward and off the stock), lift the barreled action out, and if you don't want to mess with field-stripping it, hose it down with CLP and take a toothbrush to whatever you can reach.
There might be some letters stamped on the stock, where the sling would be recessed on the left side, indicating where it was rebuilt with the adjustable sight, bayo lug, M2 stock, etc., that were retrofitted after the war.
Mine is stamped "MR" for Mount Rainier Arsenal.
Old July 12, 2014, 03:59 PM   #16
Mosin-Marauder

I'll ask him sometime if I can clean it. Any idea how to clean the bore?
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 12, 2014, 09:16 PM   #17
10-96

And just because it doesn't have an import mark doesn't mean it hasn't done time in Belgium, Germany, Italy, Greece, Austria(?), maybe even Korea (I think a very few of those came back to US control without going through an importer).

At the end of WWII we loaned M1 Carbines to various country's police, military, forestry services, etc. And upon their return sold off through DCM and possibly some other sources.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 13, 2014, 10:07 AM   #18
RickB

Quote:
I'll ask him sometime if I can clean it. Any idea how to clean the bore?
It has to be cleaned from the front, if you use a rod. A lot of Carbines do or did show a lot of muzzle wear, as a result. I'm just very careful, and use an old G.I. brass cleaning rod to try to reduce wear. You could also use a bore-snake or other pull-through system.
Old July 15, 2014, 10:09 AM   #19
jrothWA

For Cleaning, try using a .22 rod (1-peice) with a

muzzle-guard.

Use a flashlight sideways under the rear sight, you should be able to read the maker.

Get a bolt takedown tool to DETAIL the bolt (clean and lube) this accounts for most firing / ejection problem.

Also, get a GI gas piston wrench and DETAIL the gas piston and gas housing to insure functioning. May need to run the proper number drill bit through the gas passage to remove fouling / jacket debris.

Lightly polish feed ramp to minimize "stuttering" of soft-nose ammo.
Old July 15, 2014, 10:28 AM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

Get papers for it. Have your grandfather sign a statement describing it, when he got it, etc. and have it notarized. It'll be a family heirloom after that.
Old July 15, 2014, 10:46 AM   #21
Mosin-Marauder

Would a Mosin muzzle guard work?

Also, where would I get Heirloom papers?
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; July 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old July 15, 2014, 11:36 AM   #22
RickB

Quote:
Use a flashlight sideways under the rear sight, you should be able to read the maker.
If it starts with U and ends with D, it's pretty certainly made by Underwood.
Old July 15, 2014, 12:21 PM   #23
Goatwhiskers

To protect the muzzle, get the barrel from a click type ball point pen. The inside is tapered just like the outside, so just cut back the small end until the cleaning rod will just pass thru. Put it on the rod and hold it against the muzzle while running the rod in and out. Did I mention that this is a free muzzle protector? GW
Old July 15, 2014, 12:30 PM   #24
kilimanjaro

The heirloom paper is the document or letter you prepare, not a government form. Just write up the history and sign it. Name and service, how obtained, etc., are the things to attest.

It's just a family document so things don't become nebulous in 2114 AD.
Old July 16, 2014, 12:29 AM   #25
sprouticus

I found this this website useful, plenty of good info.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/rifles.html

Better still, for good information are these two books.
http://www.amazon.com/Carbines-Warti...rds=m1+carbine

http://www.amazon.com/M1-carbine-own...rds=m1+carbine

Good luck with working on your Grandpa's rifle.
Before tearing into anything, study the procedures well.
You do not what to mess anything up.

One important point that I would pass on is this.
You should generally leave the gas piston alone.
Removal is neither required or recommended.

Carbines were designed to use non-corrosive ammo.
The nuts are staked in place and should only be removed if absolutely necessary.

I saw a post a while back where a guy attempted to remove the nut and cracked the gas block

Here is a thread from the CMP forum, talking about this.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ght=gas+piston

Knowledge is power!