The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 26, 2004, 08:44 PM   #1
elpasoben09

help with a 1300 defender

hello all. I just found this site and joined for help and knowledge...it seems I already need help. I bought a new winchester 1300 defender yesterday and took it to the range today. Once there though I had problems with it from the get go. I would load the magazine with 5 or 6 shells, cycle, and pull the trigger and it would not fire, I did this several times and finally it fired. From then on it would only fire random shells. I tried loading a round directly into the chamber before loading the magazine and the same thing happened. Sometimes she would work and other times she wouldn't. I can't recall the ammo we used...a friend picked it up. Is there a potential problem with my weapon, my technique bad, or a step im leaving out. I've used plenty of weapons and shotguns before and this has hot me baffled. Any ideas??? thanks
Old September 26, 2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Arizona Fusilier

Sounds very strange, but before we spin too many cycles, we must eliminate the ammo from the equation, as right now I think that's the prime suspect, since you're not sure what it was. Get back out to the range with different, high quality ammo, and see if you can replicate those results.
Old September 27, 2004, 05:01 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Did you clean the gun prior to going to the range? Even though new, there are preseratives on the gun that may cause this.

HJN
Old September 27, 2004, 07:27 AM   #4
foghornl

The 2 previous posts probably have it nailed....Try a different brand of ammo, and make sure the bolt/firing pin channel areas are CLEAN.

If you have a round that doesn't fire, wait AT LEAST 10 seconds before opening the action, and then look for firing pin strike on the primer. Should be farily well centered, and a deep impression.

Most often on new weapons, there is some 'crud' left over in the bolt/firing pin channel that causes light primer hits Brother had this issue on his new Remmy 1100 he bought in 1969 or so, and other brother had same thing with his Remmy 870 bought a few years earlier. It is possible [although unlikely] that Winny let a bad shotgun slip through the final QC checks..
Old September 27, 2004, 08:39 PM   #5
elpasoben09

will do

I did clean the weapon before going to the range but I did a half-butt job on the fireing pin....didn't even think about that. I will try different ammo and a redo on the cleaning and then try. I did finish the box of 25 rounds it just took several tries before each round fired. When the round did not fire there was not a pin strike on the primer so perhaps the firing pin is stuck with gunk. thanks for your help all.

Ben
Old September 27, 2004, 11:47 PM   #6
HarryB

My 1300 did this right after I got a deal on it at a local show, Turns out the nut at the end of the mag tube wasn't tight enough. Tiightened it and has been stone cold reliable ever since.
Old October 2, 2004, 10:51 PM   #7
ENC

Agree with the above post. If the Magazine cap is not tight, the bbl won't be tight.

Evan
Old October 11, 2004, 04:59 PM   #8
HarryB

got boom?
Old October 11, 2004, 06:02 PM   #9
Powderman

I got mine used, but this should help:

Clear the weapon, and remove the barrel. Remove the trigger group, and juice it well with some Gun Scrubber. Make sure that you get the little hose into everything you can. Let it dry; then lube well. I have found that the best way to lubricate an assembly like this after cleaning with Gun Scrubber (or Brake cleaner, a cheaper alternative) is to simply dunk the whole thing in oil, swish it around, and then let it drip while suspended on a hanger above an oil bath. Either that, or lay it on some absorbent towels upside down for a few hours.