The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Lilswede1

Latest groupings

,223 @ 100 yds.jpg

The top left was fairly rapid fire. I moved the scope 3 clicks to the right for the middle 5. Top right- waited 1 full minute (as suggested by you good people) between shots. Did the same for the two 5 shot groups below. Made a real difference.
Is this a pretty good showing?
Not looking for back slaps, just want to improve.
My 62 yo. eyes aint what they used to be.
Used a .223 CZ model 527 w/bull barrel and a Leupold 4 X 14 scope - 27 gr. Benchmark, 50 Gr. Sierra Blitzking, OAL .228

Last edited by Lilswede1; September 23, 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old September 23, 2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Loader9

Well, I wouldn't want ya to be shootin' at me! It does make a difference waiting between shots. I usually open the bolt and let air blow thru the barrel for at least a minute. But that's just how I do things. Doesn't make me right and everybody else wrong. I'd say your in the ball park. Looks like your rifle is capable of under 1" groups and so are you. Practice makes perfect so keep shootin'!
You might consider reworking your loads to bring the groups in a little smaller. You can never shoot too tight of a group and most shooters are always looking for just a little better accuracy. One point you may want to change in your shooting. Mark each hole as it is shot. If shooting at a public range and can't do that, take a pad of paper with you, sketch out a target and mark in pencil where each shot goes and in what order. You can tell a lot about your loads doing this. Also record the date, time of day, wind and direction, and the temperature. All of the factors effects the rifle and the loads. I actually have winter loads and summer loads for rifles that I use year round.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Bullet94

I’m not familiar with your rifle but if it doesn’t have a floated barrel I’d say that’s good. Most hunting rifles probably won’t shoot that good. Buying a factory rifle is sometimes the luck of the draw in how good they will shoot. Looks like yours is better than most.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:29 PM   #4
DIXIEDOG

Great looking groups to me.
Old September 27, 2008, 12:43 PM   #5
629 shooter

Quote:
My 62 yo. eyes aint what they used to be.
Looks pretty darn good! Better than a lot of younger shooters can do. During the last few years I have been shooting .223 exclusively for centerfire rifle. Benchmark has also given me great results

For pure target work you might pick up a box of Sierra 52 grain or 53 grain MatchKing bullets and give them a try.