The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
murphjup

Lee Classic Turrett for Rifle Rounds?

I am currently new to reloading and are reloading .45 ACP without any difficulty... But I also shoot .308 so I am considering reloading it...

I am currently using the auto disk for powder loads for .45, so how would I load powder in rifle rounds? I don't think the double disk measure is even enough for most rifle rounds depending on the powder...

Also what else, would I need for those of you using Lee Turrett's for rifles?

Thank you in advance...

Old September 23, 2008, 07:08 PM   #2
CrustyFN

You will need the rifle charging die. I load 223 and the pro auto disk works fine but like you said I don't think it will do 308. You could mount the Perfect powder measure instead of the auto disk but you would have to cycle it by hand I think. I have never seen the PPM but I'm sure you could get inventive and get it to cycle automatic. You could also put a RCBS Uniflow on the turret like Dave did in this threadhttp://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=248967.
Rusty
Old September 24, 2008, 03:45 PM   #3
ForneyRider

I use the Lee PPM for rifle. You can adapt this to Lee presses with Lee Universal Charging Die or use standalone.

The rifle charging die is for the Lee Auto Disk. I use this with .223 and .22-250 and Varget. I will experiment with AA 2230, RE 15, and some others. I also have the PPM to experiment with.

The Lee Auto Disk double disk setup supports 1.26cc x 2. I am not sure there is a recipe that it can support with .308.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...VMD%20List.pdf

Last edited by ForneyRider; September 24, 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: AA
Old September 24, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
murphjup

Lee Information is so Vague....

I have been online trying to figure out which dies etc. I will need, lets say I get a Double disk kit, I assume it will work with the rifle charging die...

I guess just the Pacesetter dies, and will have to trim and lube the cases...maybe pick a powder that will work well with the auto disk...

Anyways, it's certainly not as simple as loading .45ACP as I have been, but I think the reason is Lee's information does not really explain, what works best with what...

I'm in no rush and will figure it out eventually, thank you all for your insight's thus far...

Old September 24, 2008, 05:26 PM   #5
CrustyFN

Yes the rifle charging die works with the auto disk. I know a couple of people that use the auto disk and figure half the charge and run the case into the powder die twice. I'm not comfortable doing that but I hear it works good. The dies will depend on the rifle. If you are going to load for a AR then you will need to full length resize and the Pacesetter dies work great. If you are shooting in a bolt gun then the Deluxe set will come with a full length die and a neck sizing die. You can get away with neck sizing for a bolt gun.
Rusty
Old September 24, 2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Starvingboy

Try triple disking

I reload .308 with a lee pro1000. I learned from a guy that used a Lee classic turret press and he loaded everything up to 8mm and 30-06. The trick is to rig up a "Triple" disk measure. Mine uses the two large auto disk then the adjustable charge bar. Longer Screws and the custom nylon spacers cost me about a buck at the local hardware store. The press runs like a champ even though the PRO-1000 isn't supposed to be able to load cartridges that big.
Old September 25, 2008, 04:15 PM   #7
ForneyRider

I tried stuffing a .270 Win in Pro 1000 with no luck.

Wow.

.22-250 works with the 45ACP shellplate.

Is the Auto Disk the spring-loaded one or the chain one?

If it is the chain one, then Lee PPM should work too. Lee sent me a tiny bracket to extend out the shellplate where the chain attaches.

Last edited by ForneyRider; September 25, 2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: chain
Old September 26, 2008, 12:08 PM   #8
flashhole

This is what I did.

I cut down an MTM funnel (a full size funnel is shown on the right) and use the appropriate end cap for the cartridge being loaded. I use the Lee Dipper Cups for the proper charge weight. It's shown with a 45-70 case nested in the funnel neck. Works great. I move the funnel to other turrets and change out the cap as needed.

Are you ready for civil war?