The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2001, 10:29 AM   #1
LIProgun

870 Folding Stock Questions

I am considering purchasing a folding stock for the Rem 870 for occasional use when transportation and storage space is at an absolute premium, and when even a cased, fully stocked 870 would be too conspicuous. (I would keep the full stock on the 870 most of the time, and swap the folder only when needed.)

I know where I can purchase a Rem factory original 870-P folding stock, and I was looking for feedback on this unit (e.g., how it performs; durability; comfort; length of pull; etc.).

Also, are there any other 870 folders out there worth considering?

In Shotgun News, I saw an aftermarket, steel, top-folding 870 stock that looks similar to the Rem factory 870-P stock for something like $40 -- way below my best price for a Rem factory original. Anybody know about this one?

TIA.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old December 13, 2001, 10:49 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The early Rem folders cut some cheeks. After a recall, this seems to be fixed, but that one may be one of the early ones.

Also, the butt area is on the small side, not good for extended use and/or by those of us who are recoil sensitive.

People vary, but it would take some serious space and storage considerations for me to use a folder again. And I HAD to shoot these things a lot. I instructed,qualified and gave demos.

If I did HAVE to use one, R/R ammo would be on the list.
Old December 13, 2001, 11:01 AM   #3
LIProgun

I knew Dave would have a good answer for me, and considered e-mailing him directly with my question. But then others wouldn't benefit from his wisdom. {Thanks Dave!}

Since Brownell's carries the Rem factory folders, I assume they are of the newer variety.

As for recoil, I certainly assumed the folder would be harsher than a fully stocked rifle, and fully intend to go with R/R loads. And I don't intend to do any extended shooting with the folding stock.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old December 13, 2001, 11:11 AM   #4
Edward429451

I've got a Choate side folding stock that I'll sell you for $50. for the 870. Complete with black forend...
Old December 13, 2001, 12:13 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're quite welcome, LIProgun. Check your PMs.

Craft shops sell a double glued sheet of plastic about 1/4" thick that resembles non foamed neoprene, but a bit stiffer. A coupla layers of that, topped with thin leather makes a nice recoil pad and may help take the sting outa that metal butt plate. Degrease the metal first with grain alcohol, then scissor a piece and place it on the butt, add another or two, top with the leather and trim. The one on my Model 94 looks like a pro job and does help.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:31 PM   #6
ModIMark0

LIProgun,
Have you considered a collapsing stock shotgun? There is a company called Sage International in Michigan that manufactures a collapsing stock shotgun that comprises a pair of rails that slid along the lower walls of the 870s receiver. There are three stock position lengths to choose from. retracted (the buttplate swivels up over the pistol grip assembly when it is retracted), fully extended and 3/4's extended when wearing tactical gear or body armor. It has a thick buttpad instead of a plate so it is not as punishing as other type stocks. It weighed 2lb., 13oz. It was offered by Brownells a couple of years ago, but was discontinued. I got the contact info from a rep of Brownells. Sage's telephone number is 517-739-7000. The part # and description are TS870 Telescoping Shotgun stock. Rough price would be about 120 dollars. Steep, but a quality item. Just don't forget to receive the instructions, since installation is more than screwing the grip and stock assembly into a the 870's receiver.
There was another folding stock that Brownells carried and discontinued a year after it's introduction (was on page 75 of catalog 52). it was called the Rampart Folding stock, and it folded along the left side of the receiver. It had a couple of steel tubes that formed a right angle triangle profile when extended. It also had a neoprene rubber buttpad, and weighed 1 lb., 15 oz.. IT had the stock number (at Brownells) of 738-100-870. In the edition, it sold for the amount of $189.95. Hope that this might help.
Old December 17, 2001, 02:47 PM   #7
psssniper

heres sage's web site

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/...cc/wepacc.html
Old December 18, 2001, 07:46 PM   #8
dwestfall

I've got a Choate top-folder I'll sell for $30 + shipping.