The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
rotten mick

Your view on Winchester Autocomp.

Limited experience reloading. I've helped my buddy reload in my younger days. He had two single stages; he would size, deprime, prime and powder and I'd load and crimp.

So now I'm reading and video learning and have equipment on the way. I've got my primers(cci 500) and bullets and been on the powder hunt without luck for some 231 powder. I managed to find a1lb jug of Autocomp and snagged it up as it was the last on the shelves. Best info looks like 4.6-5.0 for a 9mm 124gr TMJ to get the 1080-1140fps on a 4" barrel.

I've read that most powders tend to burn incomplete on the lower powder charge side and most recipes show charges towards the higher load to burn cleaner.

Standard disclaimer..... I hold all harmless for any info they supply and its my responsibility to check and use information given to me in a safe manner.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.

Last edited by rotten mick; August 30, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old August 31, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2
totaldla

It works fine in 9mm. Hodgdon's load data is very conservative and I personally load it at MAX. Don't use AutoComp in low-pressure cartridges like 45acp as it won't burn very well.
Old August 31, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
jwrowland77

Your view on Winchester Autocomp.

I use it in my 9mm and love it. It is by far my most accurate load. My load is on the load end and my gun loves it. Easy shooting load, very accurate, hits right where I'm aiming. You'll just need to do a workup and find what's most accurate in your pistol. Mine just happened to be the very first load in my workup.
Old August 31, 2013, 06:55 PM   #4
rotten mick

Thanks... can't wait till the equipment comes... I know what I've read and watched and feel I understand it. Just haven't heard many recipes with the autocomp other than the company published ones unlike the 231 powder to bullet ratio everyone posts.

Cant wait to start....
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.