The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2013, 07:38 PM   #1
perry10

need help with load data for 9mm

I am using a 125 grain lrn bullet behind 5.2 grains of AA5 at oal of 1.145. Is this powder charge too light?
Old August 28, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
GJSchulze

Too light for what?

Does your slide cycle with no stove pipes? If so, then it's not too light.
Are you trying to make minor PF for USPSA? You need to know muzzle velocity.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Shouldn't be too light. That should be a medium to medium/heavy load according to the data.

I recently ran into an issue with loading 45ACP with some WST I had been using for 9mm. Long story short I no longer had access to a Chronograph and in order to find the issue with light pop's and inaccurate loads I had to purchase one.

So if you feel the load is not performing and feels light as well as sounds light you are better off getting one.

Knowing what your FPS is lets you know how well the powder is performing and is almost must have tool if you can afford one.
Old August 28, 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

4.7 to 5.4 should be the range according to AA. You can also reduce the oal and still be safe. Have you check your magazines and chamber as well as feeding to make certain that length is not too long? I often load with an OAL of 1.135 but have also used as short as 1.100. Depending on the gun and the profile of the bullet.

Once you find the correct OAL for your pistol you can start working up a load to suit your needs. You might find a shorter OAL is needed and you also might find a more accurate load that still cycles your pistol with a lower amount of powder. When looking up lead data you can pretty much use 124 and 125 grain bullets of the same profile as the same thing. Working up the load will get you a load that works best for your gun. Some barrels are faster than others are and differences in OAL, primers, crimp, etc can change the results you get.
Old August 28, 2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

My go-to load for a 124g HP for 9mm is 6.1g AA5. So yes, I'd say your load is most likely on the light side.

Start working up slowly, if you feel the need. That's the fun of loading.

P.S. the one grain of bullet weight difference (your 125, my 124) is negligible in this context.
Old August 28, 2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

I didn't realize that your bullet was lead - I didn't see that.

That being the case, you're probably fairly close to where you need to be.